Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eyra VS Caracal?

How does the Eyra compare to the Caracal? Specifically:

1) Fishing platform - stability, not feeling your co move around, not feeling like your getting thrown overboard when a big wake comes, etc.
    2) Comfort behind the wheel - space to wheel, position of hotfoot, etc.
    3) Rough water ride
    4) Rough water fish ability - waves coming over the bow when on the TM. My caracal is pretty wet in rough water. Especially when spotlocked into the wind & waves.
    5) Dryness of storage areas and rod lockers on wet days or rough water days
    6) Tackle storage - the Caracal can hold a mini tackle warehouse. How is the Eyra?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

2. Member
    If you ask me the Caracal beats the eyra in everything but rough water ride. Then they are equal. 5 should also be equal.

However. You should not be comparing the two. They are completely opposite personalities. If you can try to find a local dealer with both in inventory

3. Member
    Can't compare the Caracal....but I just moved up from a 2015 P2 to a 2018 Eyra and it's a much bigger and dryer boat. No water in any compartment anytime. Much wider & longer rear deck. Front deck is significantly bigger too. Storage is massive. Even a full size dip net fits vertically in the front storage !!!
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

4. Moderator
    Your trying to compare two totally different animals here.. They are both great boats in their own ways but both being BCB is really about it.. The Eyra is what I consider comparing to a sports car. It's a tighter cockpit with seats lower to the floor and bulkhead closer to the seats so it's not as comfortable for long legs. Performance again is more like a sports car. Quick and very agile.. Layout is totally different than any other current BCB model but so is the Caracal. The Caracal is a very big wide deck deeper hulled boat with more of a full size truck cockpit feel and much more front deck.. At the front pedestal base it's 11" wider than the Eyra.. The front deck size is only outdone by the Jaguar and Lynx. Both models ride very well, both models have dry storage, both models ride dry and handle the rough water very well but at the same time are very different boats. The best advice I can give is to try and spend a day in each and see which fits you and your style the best.. I have customers that love them both and again in my opinion it's like comparing your full size truck to a corvette both are awesome in totally different ways... There's my .02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by shermsmarine View Post
    Your trying to compare two totally different animals here.. They are both great boats in their own ways but both being BCB is really about it.. The Eyra is what I consider comparing to a sports car. It's a tighter cockpit with seats lower to the floor and bulkhead closer to the seats so it's not as comfortable for long legs. Performance again is more like a sports car. Quick and very agile.. Layout is totally different than any other current BCB model but so is the Caracal. The Caracal is a very big wide deck deeper hulled boat with more of a full size truck cockpit feel and much more front deck.. At the front pedestal base it's 11" wider than the Eyra.. The front deck size is only outdone by the Jaguar and Lynx. Both models ride very well, both models have dry storage, both models ride dry and handle the rough water very well but at the same time are very different boats. The best advice I can give is to try and spend a day in each and see which fits you and your style the best.. I have customers that love them both and again in my opinion it's like comparing your full size truck to a corvette both are awesome in totally different ways... There's my .02 worth
    Very well written. I agree 100%

Great analysis Sherm!
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Sherm, thanks for the feedback on the two models. I’ve spent lots of time in the Caracal, none in the eyra. I didn’t realize the decks were almost a foot different at the pedestal. That and the smaller cockpit would probably take the eyra off my list.

Thanks!

Dan

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Good choice...you won't regret it!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Not trying to hijack but I have been considering the Caracal. Currently have a 2005 Puma with 225 XS and wondered how the Caracal compares to current or older model Puma. Really like my Cat but need some seat time in these newer gen rides.

I love the looks of the eyra and that its faster. But I'm closing in on the one year mark in my Caracal, and I don't think I could go to a boat without the center rod locker, and such a wide front platform.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

11. Member
    I always said, make a Pantera II with the Eyra style body, basically a 19 foot Eyra, it would sell like crazy!
    Many are drawn to the Eyra on its styling alone.

On the OP's question, the Caracal deck is massive!! Cant go wrong with it.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Member
    I have a 2017 Eyra and love it. Everything about the boat is nimble. It doesn't feel like the boat is being dragged by the TM. It moves smooth as one unit. Keep in mind, I'm over 6' tall and 345lb and have no issues with the cock pit. Don't let what everyone says scare you away from one of the most Bad A** boat BCB makes. She's loaded, I'm big and with a partner I can still get over 76 on water that's not smooth. I'm in NW Indiana if you wanna try one out sometime.

13. Member
    Which has the better potential holeshot, which will maintain plane at a lower speeds better and which carves corners better? Or I guess a better question would be, what model Cat makes the best river fishing platform?

14. Member
    Sayner-I have no experience with the Caracal but I own a 2017 Eyra and it will maintain plane at very low speeds. I can stay on plane by myself at 19-20mph and this is with dual power poles. And you won't believe how well it carves corners. I fish shallow lakes filled with cypress trees and run a lot of narrow cuts and creeks and it's like driving a sports car. Handles like a smaller boat on the curves but will absolutely fly in open water! Holeshot is dependent on each boat, load weight, load placement, etc but after a lot of experimenting I can take off in 3' of water with no problems and holeshot is approx 4 seconds. Again, I have no experience in the Caracal but I can just about guarantee that the Eyra is a better river boat. The best thing is that whichever one you decide on it's going to be a Basscat.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texlacat View Post
    Sayner-I have no experience with the Caracal but I own a 2017 Eyra and it will maintain plane at very low speeds. I can stay on plane by myself at 19-20mph and this is with dual power poles. And you won't believe how well it carves corners. I fish shallow lakes filled with cypress trees and run a lot of narrow cuts and creeks and it's like driving a sports car. Handles like a smaller boat on the curves but will absolutely fly in open water! Holeshot is dependent on each boat, load weight, load placement, etc but after a lot of experimenting I can take off in 3' of water with no problems and holeshot is approx 4 seconds. Again, I have no experience in the Caracal but I can just about guarantee that the Eyra is a better river boat. The best thing is that whichever one you decide on it's going to be a Basscat.
    Next boat will surely be a 'Cat. Just haven't quite decided which one. Thanks for the reply brother.

My next boat will be an Eyra. From what I’ve read, it would be like driving a 20’ Sabre. And I love the way my Sabre FTD handles.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by sayner View Post
    Which has the better potential holeshot, which will maintain plane at a lower speeds better and which carves corners better? Or I guess a better question would be, what model Cat makes the best river fishing platform?
    I've never been in the eyra. But after I put a fury 4 blade on my caracal it drives tons better. I can lower the atlas jack plate around turns and carve them out hard enough to a eject someone haha... My boats fully lifted out of the water at 41-42 mph, and around 46-50 its up on the end of the pad. From there it just gains speed....

I had a sabre before this and I would compare them somewhat in handling but they are totally different boats.
    Last edited by Louie; 11-14-2017 at 07:07 AM.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Louie, they probably are similar in the manner the hulls handle. A Caracal is not nearly as nimble as a Sabre hull though.

19. Member
    I had an Eyra prior to my Sabre and the hulls are different.
    My Sabre comes out the hole much quicker. Once out the hole, the Eyra bow will lift quicker if set up correctly. Acceleration is very fast on the Eyra. First time out with the Eyra, I got to my limit of handling it real quick. Surprised me!
    Once you learn to drive the Eyra, its a muscle / sports car in every sense.
    The Sabre is much more nimble. Easier to drive. I find with a 4 blade prop the Sabre has very little chine. Even bumping 70 mph.
    I believe the Eyra would probably shared some of the handling attributes of the Sabre if it had the 4 bladed prop.
    The Eyra, though not as nimble will just about put you thru the side of the hull in curves.
    Keep in mind, the Eyra has rear tanks, the Sabre and Caracal (If optioned) will have under seat fuel tanks. This will make for different handling characteristics, Hole shot performance, bow lift at speed, and top end speeds.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

This question concerning a Caracal or an Eyra best comes to be answered by your needs. If you want a sports car that rolls over big waves then the Eyra fits. If your after the forward beam, center rods, and the bigger feel, then the Caracal is a fit. It pops over waves though it's no as good a ride as the Eyra in the 3' stuff. The Caracal probably rides a little better in the 1' to 2' termed as that size waves.

Beyond that an Eyra will eat big water more than most realize. The Caracal does navigate well in those same waters with limited challenges on taking one over the bow while running. Yes, both boats are drier rides than many competitive hulls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast