Thread: Suzuki resale

Suzuki resale

Hey guys I am looking at buying a new boat with a Suzuki 250 I was just wondering what kind of resale I will have with it down the road

2. Member
    It's hard to say, buying a Suzuki outboard is like buying a Nissan pickup, it runs good and is trouble free compared to the other outboards out there, but hard to find service centers. The thing about Suzuki's is that they are pretty much maintenance free compared to a Mercury, but don't have the top end speed compared to the Mercury's or Yamaha's. In the end, it will depend on the new owner, does he prefer a boat that runs fast but requires more maintenance, or wants a boat that has a trustworthy outboard.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    thanks for the reply booter. How does your puma run with the Suzuki

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradpage View Post
    thanks for the reply booter. How does your puma run with the Suzuki
    I'm getting better bow lift compared to when I had a 225 Mercury Pro XS. However, I'm not getting the hull shot and speed out of it that I thought I would since I have dual 12' Talons and a Gorilla Hull. I will probably have to drop down from a 29 to a 28 or 27 and see if that corrects it. Regardless, I still won't go back to a two stroke motor.

5. Member
    Yeah I'm not a speed freak just want something reliable that I don't have to worry about oil. Are you running a 4 blade or 3 blade

6. Member
    Currently I'm running a Suzuki 29P 4 blade and I also have a Fury 27P (3 blade) as a spare that might go back on since it was temporary used till my Suzuki prop showed up. The Fury prop gave me a lot of prop torque at 3K rpms, but I never did have enough time on the motor to open it up and see if it would go away.

7. Banned
    The problem with Suzuki is not the motors. They have poor market representation in many places--no dealers.

I was told by an ex-dealer that Suzuki outboard as a company is very poorly managed, especially in parts administration. He found them so difficult to work with that he turned in his franchise.

8. Member
    This really depends on the are of the United States that you live in. If everyone has Merc’s than that will be the best motor for resale and if everyone has Etecs.... You get the point. I have had mine for a couple months now and am very happy with my choice. The dealers do seem to leave a little to be desired.

9. Member
    Yeah I understand that but I'm not only looking just for the resale I am also looking at what is the best option as a motor goes with the 4 stroke

10. Banned
    Within an hour of us, there are well over 1000 boats, and virtually no Suzuki outboards. Come to think about it, we don't have a Yamaha dealer either but we have a bunch of Yammies out there.

For four stoke resale, Yamaha may be best. But to get the price right, Yamahas must come through a boat manufacturer on a volume purchase and delivered with a new boat. Suzuki and Mercury sell motors much cheaper directly to their dealers.

11. Member
    Resale on a re-powered boat is not even a consideration in my book. You literally recoup none of your money no matter what brand you repower with. It’s a lost cause.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Within an hour of us, there are well over 1000 boats, and virtually no Suzuki outboards. Come to think about it, we don't have a Yamaha dealer either but we have a bunch of Yammies out there.

For four stoke resale, Yamaha may be best. But to get the price right, Yamahas must come through a boat manufacturer on a volume purchase and delivered with a new boat. Suzuki and Mercury sell motors much cheaper directly to their dealers.
    D & D marine is a Suzuki dealer but you are right you hardly ever see a Suzuki motor but they are supposed to be the best one you can buy at least from a reliably stand point from my understanding.

13. Member
    Pretty reliable history. I have a 98 DT 200 on my 98 Champion 191. 20 yrs old, pushing 90lb in each hole (by my gauge) and still hitting 62 mph on it's best days. Starts great, jumps out of the hole, even loaded down (full load=59-60mph). It is due for top end rebuild and I'll do that after next season. I bought the boat in 2010 and I've had one problem...High pressure fuel pump went out...$600. I got no gripes, wouldn't trade it away for anything and very happy with it. I know it ain't a new 4 stroke but this can just attest to Suzuki's history of reliability. I've no need of a 4 stroke...yet.

14. Member
    Let me clue you in on a resale question on a Suzuki 4 stroke. If your motor runs for 10 years and doesn't blow up like (some others, insert name here), the value to the potential buyer is quite good. It won't either need or have had one or more rebuilds, holes in the block that are welded, different size pistons from scored cylinder walls, etc.
    Since you didn't have to spend a ton of money on it, it was a smart purchase. Another thing, making round trips in a bass boat beats being towed back any day.