Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Now it's more clear...on break-in its okay to open up the throttle on holeshot because you should not be seeing excessive rpm on holeshot. I take back my original comment about adding plugs. Remove them all, trim all the way down, floor the throttle on holeshot. Once on plane back off the throttle. On break-in for a new motor your tech should have told you what to do. I like to say let the internal parts in your motor get to know each other well before running wide open but it is okay to open the throttle wide open just to get on plane.

My main concern would be getting through the break-in period before adding a foil or adjusting motor height. Plugs are simple to play with so if you want to adjust plus no big deal but my main concern would be getting it broke in before do any drastic fine tuning.
    Yeah, sorry it took a few of you to drag it out of me – I most definitely think I’m just not laying into her enough for this holeshot. Going to go back to square 1, I’ll mess with plugs/foil only if after I still see issues. Tech most definitely did not go over this part, hence why I never would of thought of laying into a new motor all the way like this for take-off.

Wish I could buy you all a beer, the input and information here so far has been great!

Welcome to learning a new boat. I ran a 15 ft 70 HP for several years. When I bought my 18'9" with a 150 it was a whole different animal. It was like I had to lean it all over again even though I had drove a boat for a few years...my advice is go slow and learn your boat. If you know someone with a rig similiar to yours get them to go with you and see if they have any issues getting on plane and running on pad... on the new boat.

I have never broke in a new Mercury but I have broke in a new Evinrude. Go to the Mercury discussion board and seek out Don Weed. He has forgot more about Mercury motors than what most people know about Mercury motors. Tell him EXACTLY what motor you have (2018 175 Pro XS) and ask for the break-in procedure. I think I know the procedure but I will defer this to someone with a lot more knowledge than me.

4. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Welcome to learning a new boat. I ran a 15 ft 70 HP for several years. When I bought my 18'9" with a 150 it was a whole different animal. It was like I had to lean it all over again even though I had drove a boat for a few years...my advice is go slow and learn your boat. If you know someone with a rig similiar to yours get them to go with you and see if they have any issues getting on plane and running on pad...[IMG]file:///C:\Users\bxhl\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.gif[/IMG] on the new boat.
    Sadly I don’t know any other bass boat owners, and my ol man’s boats have always been bay center console style setups. Will definitely take it slow though (except on that hole-shot throttle). :D

I have never broke in a new Mercury but I have broke in a new Evinrude. Go to the Mercury discussion board and seek out Don Weed. He has forgot more about Mercury motors than what most people know about Mercury motors. Tell him EXACTLY what motor you have (2018 175 Pro XS) and ask for the break-in procedure. I think I know the procedure but I will defer this to someone with a lot more knowledge than me.
    I’ve got some reading to do in the manual on top of this, but will definitely seek him out for further questions on break-in.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

He's going to want the serial number before he offers advice.

As to throttle getting on plane its not so much the case that the boat requires gobs of power to get on plane, you just need to use all that it has if you expect it to get on plane quickly. I don't always floor it when I am getting on plane. Sometimes I just take it easy if I'm not in a rush. It takes longer but sometimes that's OK.

Whatever you do, don't put any sort of hydrofoil on it. If you really have a hole shot issue, and I doubt you do, that's not the way to fix it. They are good if you want to stay on plane at slower speeds but that's about it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post

Whatever you do, don't put any sort of hydrofoil on it. If you really have a hole shot issue, and I doubt you do, that's not the way to fix it.
    I agree 100% that now is not the time to put a hydrofoil on it because he has yet to determine if he really has a holeshot issue. This is a new to him boat that he needs to learn how it handles. Once he gets comfortable with how the boat handles, gets the motor broke in, gets the venting and motor height dialed in, then if his hole-shot is still sub par it will be time for a foil because it will greatly improve his holeshot. By far the best thing I ever done to improve holeshot was add a foil but in his case its way too early to declare that he needs one.

7. Member
    I don't think he needs a foil. I have a Z18 with a 175 and have no issues getting on plane

8. Member
    If you're breaking it in or any other time for that matter, it's OK to take it easy on the throttle during the holeshot, but it won't be the quickest. Follow your break in procedures and you'll be fine. Let'r rip on the holeshot and you'll get the hang of it as you get the feel for your boat. Remember to keep the motor trimmed down for the first few hours. This is outlined in Don's breakin procedures. Let me try to find it.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

9. Member

10. Member
    A hydrofoil is totally unnecessary. As has been said, this is a performance hull and a performance engine as well. Getting on plane means immediate WOT then trimming out as you accelerate on plane. You can then trim out smoothly to a speed you are comfortable with. Actually, full throttle is the best way to get any boat on plane regardless of design. Bass boat hulls are not designed to ease up on plane. The 24 Fury is a good choice for your setup.

11. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    UPDATE:

So first off wanted to say THANKS again for the amount of suggestions and input you guys had, seriously – much appreciated. Work has had me busy this week so haven’t had a chance to login and provide this.

As mentioned, at the start of this thread I had already ordered Chris Bailey’s custom Hydrofoil. I know several of you suggested that I hold off on any major modifications until I had dialed in my issue with hole-shot. I was bit too hard by the shiny foil that arrived at my door promptly Sunday before the next day’s trip I had planned – before I knew it I was marking drill holes and getting it ready for its final resting place on my lower unit. Yes, I ended up installing prior to this trip. I know I know..

I know many will see a foil as a band-aid fix to a more underlying problem (but I honestly don’t think there was one to begin with), the more I looked back at the previous trip the more and more I am certain that the whole issue was the way I attempted to ease into take-offs. I had every intention of installing a hydrofoil eventually anyways.

I can very happily report that my hole-shot is not even the slightest of a problem now. My Z18 jumps on plane extremely fast, and I’m able to stay on plane very easily at slower speeds with no proposing. Though I am completely satisfied, I am still curious and might remove it one of these coming trips to prove my thoughts true that I was pussy-footing the throttle on my last trip. But then again, might be no need. I should have timed it, and probably will….I am blown away by how fast my boat gets up on plane. It’s how I imagined a new boat with this setup should have been from the start.

While I do agree some of the foils available on the market are a bit whale-tale’ish and ‘ugly’, Chris’s is mostly definitely not. It’s much smaller and honestly this thing just straight looks like it’s OEM and came with my boat. I’ll update this post with installed pics when I’m home in a few hours..

Thanks again all!
    Last edited by A7T3C; 11-13-2017 at 08:32 PM.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

12. Member
    I cringed a little when I read "drill holes" and "lower unit" in the same sentence. I'm a little sad that you put the foil on to be honest.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I drilled holes in my lower unit when my motor had about 10 hours on it. You are correct most people think a foil is a band-aid for a more underlying problem. All I know is this. I have had a foil on two different boats and in both cases it made a dramatic impact improving holeshot. In both cases other adjustments were done to get holeshot better but a foil made it even better. I do agree the old whale tails (like I have) are not pretty on eye they but they darn sure help you jump out of the hole. In the event anything happens to my foil I will be replacing it with a cbailey foil. The way it's made and the material its made of makes it look great. If you do not want the stainless finish or brushed finished he has a few colors he can make them...a foil will make a poor hole shot good and a good holeshot even better so how could it be a band aid. Good to hear you got it dialed in please post a picture so people can see what cbailey's foil looks like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12