Thread: Boat wraps

Boat wraps

Ok the finish on my boat is past wet sanding. Basically need to be re-shot. I have been considering a solid color wrap instead. Pros-cons? I am pretty sure the wrap is cheaper but will not last as long. Any others? Has anyone ever tried a DIY wrap if there is such a thing?

2. Member
    Before I painted my boat (see "painted my boat" thread in this forum) I did a little checking into wrapping my boat. As a matter of fact I used an exterior rated wrap on a small portion of my boat when I painted it. I took the time to look a several older boats that had been wrapped and here's what I decided. Any imperfection in the gel coat will show under the finished wrap. Cracks, scratches, chips etc will show under the wrap. The wrapped boats I looked at all had seams that created overlap areas. All the wrapped boats I looked at had tears in the wrap, I'm assuming from docks/trees/etc. The wrap material was more expensive that the bed liner paint I used.

I would say that if your boat has very few imperfections in the gel coat (my boat had LOTS of imperfections) and you don't mind seams/overlaps, wrapping your boat might be a viable option. I searched around on google for auto wraps, a lot of forums popped up. Those forums will have name brand vinyl wrap material: which will stretch and form to contours, which needs heated for application, which should have the edges sealed, etc.

One of the advantages to vinyl wraps that I liked (even if I didn't wrap my boat) is that they had a variety of colors and patterns like carbon fiber, clouds, water, etc You could mix and match and make your boat more than one color, apply vinyl graphics, etc.

3. Member
    cool. thanks for the response.