Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Half Fast

2013 Z7 Gel Coat issues.

So I think I've been snake bitten by my new to me Z7. After learning I have hook in the hull and can't attain more than about 53 mph with the 4 Stroke 150 because the nose won't come up, I found out yesterday on my first fishing trip that I have gel coat issues as well. When pulling the plug and putting the straps on, as I stood up, I grabbed the boat right below the rub rail and my finger busted the gel coat out. It's as if there is a void on both sides of the boat near where the sponson meets the transom. When you tap on it with a knuckle it's hollow. Now what ? I am third owner and I know I'll eat this one but dang. After owning a Bullet and an Ally and wanting to have a better fishing platform with better fuel mileage I am at a loss for words.
    Fishing, A passion my wife allows me to pursue !!!

This sucks man, my truck threw a boulder into my hull, after dong a couple little glass jobs in the past playing with some gel coat repair was nothing, just do it yourself for 20$ and fish the heck out of it
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    What I would give to get 53 out of my 2013 Z7 with a 150 four stroke. I have to ride with the wind and current to get 47. My hull is cracked right at the trolling motor. But the powers that be don't want to fix it. Plus we have no one around here that is highly recommended on fiberglass repair. I wish my issue was just gel coat.

Hope you get yours fixed.
    If the thunder don't getcha, the lightning will.

4. Half Fast
    Thanks for the responses but it brings up another question. The 2 sponsons on the back of the transom. Are they for floatation ? It appears by their sound they serve no purpose other than floatation or to keep backwash out. Anyone know ??? That's where the gel coat damage has occured.

My sponsons sure seem to be filled since they are so hard if you knock on them, but without doubt they help back wash/waves from coming over the transom

6. Half Fast
    Thanks ... Mine sound like drums except where I poked the hole in mine. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into the transom ...

7. Member
    If just touching the boat your finger went though the gel coat..... I don't know if I'd put that boat back in the water.

8. Half Fast
    It won't go on the water until I get a good look over it. I've been given the name of a reputable guy nearby and I think I'm going to go see him for an opinion before it goes back in the water. I still have my Allison to fish from for now.

Quote Originally Posted by shuddyssoup View Post
    It won't go on the water until I get a good look over it. I've been given the name of a reputable guy nearby and I think I'm going to go see him for an opinion before it goes back in the water. I still have my Allison to fish from for now.
    there is a guy probably 3 hours from you named tony parson that runs the fiberglass shop. He is one of the best around when it comes to fiberglass, transom or similar repairs.

10. Half Fast
    Where is he located if you don't mind me asking ?

11. Member
    Are you the original owner? I would take it to a dealer first. I'm pretty sure there is a lifetime warranty on the hull and it would not hurt to let a dealer see the boat. It maybe able to go back to the factory and get fixed.

Said he is the 3rd owner.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Said he is the 3rd owner.
    My 2012 Z7 is in Clinton MO now having the hull corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by edrife View Post
    Wouldn't it be sweet if they dropped a z18 at your door? Grant it old motor but still, you wouldn't be the first time a new hull got sent back grant it I think it was a bogus color but still hold your breath for a miricle!

15. Member
    My 2017 z19 is at the factory right now. Being looked at for cracks in the gel coat.

Quote Originally Posted by shuddyssoup View Post
    Where is he located if you don't mind me asking ?

Sorry just saw this. Steens ms close to columbus

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edrife View Post
    My 2013 Z7 returned Monday from Clinton with a new hull. Picking it up in the morning.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Wouldn't it be sweet if they dropped a z18 at your door? Grant it old motor but still, you wouldn't be the first time a new hull got sent back grant it I think it was a bogus color but still hold your breath for a miricle!
    Would be nice

19. Half Fast
    Old motor ??? This one has 63 hours on it ... might as well be new but it'd be nice to get the performance the boat and hull were designed for plus not have to worry about poking holes in it !!! :)

20. Member
    I've got a 2009 Z7 with Optimax 150, standard prop, no jack plate and I get 55-56 on GPS in SW Utah at almost 3000' altitude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast