Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Talked to a Mercury Mechanic today.
    The smart craft does power the mercury stuff plugged in but it does not talk in NMEA 2000 language. You will have to get an adapter to interface between the NMEA back bone and the smart craft gauges.

Plug and Play!!

Maybe this gateway but I have no ideal.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mercury...805?rmvSB=true
    The Mercmonitor (what I have) is a gateway device so the stand alone NMEA gateway is not required. Didn't have time to play with anything today so will have to see about it sometime next week if schedule permits.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Member
    Am resurrecting this post as I have the boat home for some maintenance work as opposed to 80mi away...life got in the way on solving the GPS issue. Will update with suggestion results soon.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Here is how I hooked the system up and everything worked fine. My engine (Verado 200), already had Smartcraft gauges. I disconnected them and took them out of the boat. The gauges were plugged into a Smartcraft junction box that was mounted at the helm (if you don’t have the junction box, you may need a cable that plugs directly into the engine). I purchased the Smartcraft to NEMA 2000 Gateway. It has two connections, one plugs directly in to the junction box, the other end is a NEMA 2000 connection. I installed the SeaTalkng starter kit (this is Raymarine’s version of NEMA2000) in the boat and powered it. You will need an adapter cable to connect the SeaTalkng network to the DeviceNet connector that is coming out of the Smartcraft to NEMA2000 Gateway. Finally, you will need another adaptor cable that connects the SeaTalkng network to the DeviceNet NEMA2000 plug that is included with my poer cable on the Axiom 12. Once these connections were completed, everything worked,

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Instead of swapping over to the Seatalk you can do just a regular NEMA2000 plug in the engine cable to a tee, connect a power tee, and another tee with the NEMA to DeviceNet and plug it into the unit. I have it this way with my Honda with the Heading and the Honda Gauges plugged into other Tees.
    Just Have heard that the Mercury data needs to be converted to NEMA. If so he will need the converter box between the engine cable and the NEMA back bone.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    Instead of swapping over to the Seatalk you can do just a regular NEMA2000 plug in the engine cable to a tee, connect a power tee, and another tee with the NEMA to DeviceNet and plug it into the unit. I have it this way with my Honda with the Heading and the Honda Gauges plugged into other Tees.
    Just Have heard that the Mercury data needs to be converted to NEMA. If so he will need the converter box between the engine cable and the NEMA back bone.
    I believe the engine power and NEMA network power has to be kept separate. The Smartcraft gateway serves that function. The Seatalkng network gets powered from the boat.

6. Member
    Mercury speaks Smartcraft, not NMEA, and requires a gateway device to communicate NMEA. Level 1 or higher Mercmonitor is a gateway device and I have a level 2 Mercmonitor.

Aero please visit the link in my original post to see Raymarine's instructions to me which was, essentially, same thing you did. The NMEA network can either be powered by Seatalkng or Smartcraft gateway. I chose to use Seatalkng for simplicity and interface with my Ray gear.

I'll be working on the boat today and hope to have an update tomorrow.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Ran through my Mercmonitor settings yesterday and took pictures of each screen. Gateway screen...

GPS data...

GPS speed

Manual states transmit is correct setting for Smartcraft capable engines. Receive selection is for non-Smartcraft engines. I purchased my Mercmonitor in 2011 and it is a level II.

My a78 still only shows the Raymarine devices connected to it. Open to any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member

9. Member
    That takes me back to square one with Raymarine telling me to talk to Mercury and Mercury telling me to talk to Raymarine. Had hoped someone here could help me figure this out. Thank you to those who made the effort, I'm just going to revert back to 0183 for GPS speed input.

http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topi...ne-for-new-a78
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Sorry, I run a Honda and it was just plug and play thru NMEA 2000.

11. Member
    SliverFox579,
    PM me and I will share my setup with you and how I have it hooked up. I have a MercMonitor LVL3 with the NMEA2K Gateway. All data available on the SmartCraft system is available for display on the Raymarine. Basically build the dashboard screens and set the data sources to the data that is presented from the Mercury stuff. When you have the MercMonitor on the NMEA2K network, it will get its GPS data from the Raymarine via what it puts on the network.
    MercMonitor Lvl3
    Raymarine Axiom 12 RV
    Raymarine Axiom 9 RV
    Simrad Go9 XSE

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shewstring View Post
    SliverFox579,
    PM me and I will share my setup with you and how I have it hooked up. I have a MercMonitor LVL3 with the NMEA2K Gateway. All data available on the SmartCraft system is available for display on the Raymarine. Basically build the dashboard screens and set the data sources to the data that is presented from the Mercury stuff. When you have the MercMonitor on the NMEA2K network, it will get its GPS data from the Raymarine via what it puts on the network.
    MercMonitor Lvl3
    Raymarine Axiom 12 RV
    Raymarine Axiom 9 RV
    Simrad Go9 XSE
    PM sent and Thank You!!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12