Help, please with a Curt trailer wiring burnout..

Help, please. This old fart wants to go fishing.

2 years ago I had a CURT hitch installed on my 2014 Toyota Sienna van. The install was done in TN. where I was at the time. They also installed a wiring harness with a 4-way connector.

Everything has worked fine up until this week. The other day, the Running Lights (and only the Running lights) stopped functioning (sometimes). The issue was intermittent. Yesterday, I drove 80 miles to fish and the running lights were working fine. On the way back, and actually, before I pulled out of the parking lot, they failed again. I drove home with my blinkers on.

Doing some checking both by myself and with the service garage on the corner ( we still have one of those)...we've determined that the wiring harness is putting out 12 volts right after its connection to my van's tail lights. The wiring goes into a black box, provided by CURT from what we can tell, and the output voltage on the brown (running lights) wire is .6 volts.

Looks like we need another black box.

If that were all, I wouldn't be calling on the brain trust here.

The (new to me ) trailer that I now have connected to the van, has substantially more LED lights than the previous trailer. I've only run this one a week or two. I am wondering if the resistor inside of the black box isn't sized large enough to handle the additional load. If that is the case, then just replacing what I have in kind probably won't last long.

Does Curt (or any other manufacturer) make a heavier duty black box?
    Am I on the right track??
    Does anyone on this site install Curt hitches and might have the part(s) that I need?
    If the Curt device isn't readily available, can I just use a Reese or other company's wire harness?

Any and all help appreciated.

richg99

2. Member
    Problem solved. I found a direct replacement for the original Curt wiring harness and had that installed.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    Problem solved. I found a direct replacement for the original Curt wiring harness and had that installed.
    Lots of times these harnesses plug in to the vehicles harnesses, and can develop corrosion at these plugs. Hope the new one stays lit. Often some WD/40 and tightening pins restores these connections.