Echomap Portable Ice Fishing Kit

Has anyone picked one of these up yet? I'm considering picking up the kit so I can use my 73sv on the ice, but I want to see how the inside of the bag is set up. I'm debating between the Garmin kit and just buying the ice ducer and modding a Vexilar Pro II to fit my echomap. Garmin is really doing themselves a disservice with the limited photos that are out there.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/599587

2. Member
    I have not but I am envious of this transducer (GT10HN-IF). 500 watts, chirp, 130-300 kHz range. Angle 16-7 degrees. Now that is impressive. Looks like I'm going to have to get into plastics fabrication a bit to make it transom/trolling motor mountable. I have an old Raymarine xd that the mount is held together with screws that I may be able to modify and put this one in it with just some trimming and hot melt glue to stabilize it. I'm not an ice fisherman but this transducer has really caught my attention.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    I have the Non-Chirp version of 73sv so I bought a Garmin Mobile kit (comes with case, base, power cord and battery) and then bought GT8HW-IF transducer. $163 total through Hodgesmarine. The $400 price on the new ice kit seems way overpriced to me. You can just buy a nice Marcum, Vex, or HB ice flasher for that price.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTro View Post
    I have the Non-Chirp version of 73sv so I bought a Garmin Mobile kit (comes with case, base, power cord and battery) and then bought GT8HW-IF transducer. $163 total through Hodgesmarine. The $400 price on the new ice kit seems way overpriced to me. You can just buy a nice Marcum, Vex, or HB ice flasher for that price.
    I'd like to see a few photos of how the 73 fits into that bag. I hadn't considered that option.

5. Member
    Looks like I'll be receiving it tomorrow. I had the same questions about fit, but was told that the 73 would fit. I'll let you know.

6. Member
    Looks like I'll be receiving it tomorrow. I had the same questions about fit, but was told that the 73 would fit. I'll let you know.
    Thanks. I'm leaning towards a diy setup like this myself:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishin...topic=318976.0
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Yeah that looks really good actually. . Ive seen some pretty nice Genz Box setups too. I figure the Garmit Kit/Bundle will make the sonar an easier sell when I decide to upgrade, plus I needed a Battery and Power Cable, and charger anyways.

8. Member
    Yeah that looks really good actually. . Ive seen some pretty nice Genz Box setups too. I figure the Garmit Kit/Bundle will make the sonar an easier sell when I decide to upgrade, plus I needed a Battery and Power Cable, and charger anyways.
    I already have the battery, charger, and power cable set up. Benefits of being a kayak angler!

9. Member
    So I received the kit this weekend and it looks like it might work well. Components seem to be quality made. The only thing I question is mounting the Head Unit to the base? There is a 3 hole triangular pattern on the base, and the head unit gimbal is rectangular and much wider. Looks like I might be able to get a RAM ball to work, but then I think it’s going to be too tall to fit in the soft case?

10. Member

Panoptix expensive enough already to me. Used five gallon bucket as my shuttle with aluminum brace bars down inside of bucket . another angle cross brace to mount the units base on. Dremel tool an access door in bottom for battery. Installed the 8hw ice ducer for 2d. I like the idea of not having to get on my knees to view sonar. Watched a lot of guys on ice flip bucket over and set unit shuttle on top of bucket. Installed a 12 volt plug for power outlet for the PS21. Cut a circle in a plastic cutting board so ps21 assembly would rest on ice.

After buying the lithium ion batteries. Bought a used package deal consisting of Echomap Chirp 92SV and the PS 21 from a member on here. It also included the PS 21 deployment system that I incorporated to use for ice fishing.

Used the PS 21 last year that is on my boat for ice fishing. IT is THE ANSWER. Anyway probably had as much fun playing with this as the actual ice fishing.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

11. Member
    I only wish I could afford a Panoptix. :( Looks awesome.

Turns out my unit woudln't mount directly to the mobile kit base. Instead I attached a ram ball which will make for an easy transfer from boat to ice, but it makes it too tall to fit in the soft case. :(

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    After buying the lithium ion batteries.
    What lithium ion battery did you go with? How do you like it?

13. Member
    Deltran 24 AH
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

14. Member

I made this last year for my panoptix. Still use my Vexilar once I find this fish. Works pretty well, I just leave it in my sled with the pole and transducer mounted. Could use a bigger battery though this things pretty hard on that 9ah one.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I have not but I am envious of this transducer (GT10HN-IF). 500 watts, chirp, 130-300 kHz range. Angle 16-7 degrees. Now that is impressive. Looks like I'm going to have to get into plastics fabrication a bit to make it transom/trolling motor mountable. I have an old Raymarine xd that the mount is held together with screws that I may be able to modify and put this one in it with just some trimming and hot melt glue to stabilize it. I'm not an ice fisherman but this transducer has really caught my attention.
    can you epoxy it in to some kind of casing?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    can you epoxy it in to some kind of casing?
    I'm sure that would work.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.