Steering Fluid Question

While out yesterday I noticed on my 2010 Z8 I was getting a little slipping when trying to turn to the left at WOT. First thought would be Im a little low on Hydraulics fluid. My old Nitro 7 had a place to fill on top of the steering column that you could easily see how much fluid to add. I noticed the Z8 has a hose that goes to a cap behind the drivers console windshield. Can someone confirm this is correct and also how much fluid to add? do I simply fill the hose until I can see it at the cap?

Also, any recommendations for the Seastar Hydro fluid? I have been unable to locate it anywhere and was told it is very expensive. Looking for something I can pickup at Walmart or Autozone if possible. Thanks

Yup behind the windshield, in my past experience 3/4 the way up that tube was correct amount. I found sea star fluid and it was 20$ a quart but I didn't want any what iffs, there is some adjustments that can be made on the "trim rod" if they are loose it can definitely steer funky
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    lots of people are using the same fluid used in power poles. Still not cheap, but about 1/2 the price of the seastar fluid. ONLY claim to fame for the seastar fluid is it has a high flash point. But since it is not exposed to anything hot (as it might be going around an aircraft engine) that's just pricey overkill. Only thing to avoid if you use something other than seastar fluid is to avoid a significant change in viscosity. Can make steering effort climb. The power pole fluid works perfectly, from personal experience.

BTW, that slipping is beyond dangerous. You need to not only fill it up again, you will need to bleed it as when the fluid is that low, it is picking up air and introducing it into the hoses/cylinder, which is going to lead to sloppy steering even if you fill it up. As far as level goes, that's pretty easy. Seastar says 1/4" or so below the bottom of the fill opening that is in the pump. Since you have a remote fill, fill it until you can see fluid in the tube and you are good to go. Only problem you can encounter is that if you fill it to the top, it will pop off through the fill cap when it gets hot outside and the fluid expands. My boat has the fill cap on top of the helm pump, and I have found that 1/4" below the threads is still a bit too full, I will see oil round the fill cap in the middle of the day in the summer. I simply wipe it off, and eventually it will stop. Then use that as the fill level from now on. Main thing is that when you look in the opening on top (doesn't apply to you) you do NOT want to see exposed pump hardware - that's too low. So long as you keep it within 1-2" of the remote fill cap, you should have enough room for expansion.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200