The stage is set

And man, I really missed it. My crystal ball looks more like a bowling ball now. Certainly there are enhancements to the Striker and ECHOMAP units. But my prediction was that they would go back to shipping the GT transducers with them. Not happening. Instead they have gone double down on the CV ones. Looks like they are following Humminbird on this. Blended down image on entry level and mid range units. If you want a GT transducer, then buy one. I really thought this would be a point of differentiation between Garmin and the Hbird units. Oh well, can't win them all.

Then on the Navionics acquisition. Brian at BBG contacted Navionics. They said their maps would continue to be offered to industry partners. Sure glad I didn't make any bets about this. It would have made Christmas skimpy.

The new offerings of Striker and ECHOMAP Plus are not game changers, but it is progress and it is keeping things competitive on price, features and on performance. It sure clears the air for people undecided as to whether to purchase a discounted unit or wait to see what the new models will be. So now you know.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    thanks Winchester

3. Banned
    a simply reply from a rep on facebook doesn't mean anything. they can change direction at any time. My sources simply say no one knows the future

4. Member
    And to think I almost pulled the trigger on some used units the other day. So glad I didn't do that now.
    Wonder how this will effect prices on used stuff also?

5. Member
    If they make all garmins compatible it sure won't hurt the used market. If they make ONLY garmins compatible from here on out it will make it jump a little for the good garmins. I'm really on the fence. Pics still say Garmin imaging isn't on par with the birds and lowrance but with navionics and panoptix it could be a decent trade off. I do use imaging a lot though and with my lowrance set up I can tell what's there and have a pretty good idea of size and if it's bass or not. I'm not sure if that would change with garmins or not

6. Member
    My transducers still says, "replace with GTxx" on the sticker. :)

I’m sure there is something still in the closet.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I’m sure there is something still in the closet.
    You can bet on it. They have a really big closet.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Would the GT ducer work with the units and would the software know that there is a down vu element to read from instead of blending the side vu images ?
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Would the GT ducer work with the units and would the software know that there is a down vu element to read from instead of blending the side vu images ?
    Yes.

11. Banned
    I would love Navionics support on my 7608.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I would love Navionics support on my 7608.
    You are correct sir....NC needs Navionics support

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    You are correct sir....NC needs Navionics support
    Just for the Yadkin chain alone. Thankfully I've fished those lakes enough to know them very well. But it'd still be nice to have some depth charting.

14. Member
    Just off the phone with my Garmin Rep (Reliable Source)

Garmin will not be allowing a Navionics card to be put in a Garmin unit, however, their intent is to merge Navionics data in to their LakeVu and Blue Chart map programs. In the areas where Garmin's coverage is weak, they will add the Navionics data to fill those gaps. There will be updates to mapping that will be announced 2 times a year as they have done in the past. The updates will indicate what lakes have been modified.

Navionics will continue to operate as an independent company selling and supporting their products to all other manufacturers like Lowrance / Humminbird / Raymarine etc. This only makes sense as that is where their money is made. In addition, the Active Captain software will eventually be compatible with apple products. They are just waiting on the release. No date was given.

As mentioned in a previous post, the echoMap CHIRP Plus series will have unit to unit networking to share user and sonar data some time in early 2018.. If you run PanOptix now , you will need the port expander if you have more than 2 devices to network.

Brian

15. Member
    Progress doesn't have to always be leapfrog. Incremental is fine. And one day, if I live long enough, maybe they will implement a first class one touch screenshot.

16. Member
    And one day, if I live long enough, maybe they will implement a first class one touch screenshot.

Sometimes, it is the simple things in life that can bring joy and put a smile on your face.

I truly hope you have many more years to come to enjoy that feature, should it come to fruition .

But just in case, pick a somewhat snarky nickname for that feature and we will call it by that name, in the future, in your honor. LOL

17. Member
    I'm trying but nothing that seems to fit perfectly yet. Maybe I'll have to sponsor a contest with a prize. Slugshot, snailshot, fumbleshot. Kind of like fumbleshot since the best shots are always when you need to be fishing at that instant and if you don't hold the HOME key long enough the screen changes to the Home Page and the image is on another page and I just missed a fish that bit.