Power Pole / Talon Hold power, method

I saw a video on YT where a guy set his Powerpoles at a dockside breakfast stop and went inside to have breakfast. While eating he looked out the window and saw his boat slowly floating away. It looked like he had his PP deployed but there had been a little chop on the water caused by boat traffic and a little current. Enough so that the PP's were slightly bouncing off the bottom allowing his boat to drift. So that brings my question:

How does PP and Talon hold the bottom? Is is a constant or periodic "pulse" that the respective motors give out to firm up the spike or is it deployed - hit bottom - and that's it. That would explain why the guys boat slowly floated away.

If there is a periodic "auto re-anchor" that would involve a computer and power which would create a drain on the battery.

The power pole pushed down stops based off of settings like - hard bottom soft bottom or a manual mode. Hard bottom the pumps run a little longer then normal and soft they stop quicker to prevent them from hurting them selves. Talon is basically the same, and if you are in the last foot of depth and waves come by as they lift the transom there is no hope to remain stuck down.

Now if you stand on pp down for two seconds after bottom contact they will bend to the side, that bend in my experiance will allow for more virticle holding power but the boat will not stay in the same orientation you parked it.

Talon after the auto drive mode you select the whole mechanism starts floating in the fixed tube, as long as your not going up on to large of wave it's fine...

in my experience the scenario you listed, it was an unrealistic use of either anchor brand and he should have had a rope to the dock.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I always leave mine at docks with only the poles holding it. Never had an issue even on windy days (knock on wood). Mine are set on auto bottom with the sensitivity really low.