Fall fishing lake Arbuckle

Just bought a bass boat and back into bass fishing. Anyone fish Arbuckle with pattern and bait advice? Appreciate all input.

I was down there just this past Sunday. Except for one dink on a crankbait, I was Otis. Water temp was anywhere from 63 to 65. I hit several of my favorite creeks and coves and they seemed to be dead. All the fish were out one the break at 20 to 30 feet. I threw a dropshot, an XD 10, and a T-rig worm and never even got a bump. Caught the one dink on a flat side crankbait.

I talked to another guy at the dock and he had exactly same experience as I. It was post cold front...the day before was windy and in the 40's. Sunday was warmer, in fact it got up to the 70's but there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the wind would lay down completely sometimes.

Good luck...it's a great lake. I fish it all the time and usually do pretty good. I plan on being down there again Friday if work allows.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I was down there just this past Sunday. Except for one dink on a crankbait, I was Otis. Water temp was anywhere from 63 to 65. I hit several of my favorite creeks and coves and they seemed to be dead. All the fish were out one the break at 20 to 30 feet. I threw a dropshot, an XD 10, and a T-rig worm and never even got a bump. Caught the one dink on a flat side crankbait.

I talked to another guy at the dock and he had exactly same experience as I. It was post cold front...the day before was windy and in the 40's. Sunday was warmer, in fact it got up to the 70's but there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the wind would lay down completely sometimes.

Good luck...it's a great lake. I fish it all the time and usually do pretty good. I plan on being down there again Friday if work allows.
    Thanks Larry,

I have fished this lake a couple of times and biggest fish was a four pounder north of Guy Sandy in the channel on a spinner bait about nine feet. Also caught a few smallies east of the dam off points on crankbaits. That was about a month ago. The lake is really pretty and all of the picnic areas and campsites are first rate but I can't seem to find what the fish here prefer but did manage a couple on a rapala jerk bait. I may try sometime next week if the wind will lay a bit. I might do better with a structure map or improved electronics. Was wondering how medium to large swimbaits might perform there.

David

I don't know....I've caught fish on a number of different bait over the years there....T-rig worms, C-rig worms, crankbaits, dropshot, and football head jigs with a Yamamoto Hula grub. My biggest fish 8½# came there on a flipping jig with a Flappin Hog trailer. There's so much diversity in the cover and structure there, you can just about fish any style you want.

Don't get your hopes up on a decent structure map, either paper or electronic. The best I've found is the Navioics Platinum Hot Maps and it isn't very detail. Just know that almost every creek and cove has some pretty long points extending out from them. Check it out on Google maps...they took their satellite pictures when the lake was down pretty bad. Gives a good peek at some of them.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    Cool, thanks for the input. Hope to see you there sometime. Silver and black Ranger with a Merc on the ramp south of McDonalds. Mostly there on weekdays. Black Honda Ridgeline tow vehicle. Gonna try that swim bait. Will let you know if anything comes of that.

6. Member
    Fished Arbuckle yesterday and launched at Guy Sandy. Arrived around noon and was pretty windy. Fished the long point just east I'd the dam and did enjoy some wind protection. Fish present on sonar and used my swim bait but only one small bump and no hookup. Also fished a drop shot and not a bump one. Fished this area for a while and motored to Guy Sandy around the dock in the cove, then went east of Guy Sandy. Great day on the lake despite the wind but not one fish boated. Loaded and went to lunch at Fat Bully's just north of the ramp and enjoyed patio dining with great hamburgers. Still like this lake but haven't figured out much about it so far. Why it is called fishing instead of of catching I suppose.

David, don't feel bad, I've been fishing Arbuckle for nearly 20 years now and I've had more blank days than I can count as well as a number of 12 and 15 decent size fish days. I've also caught my personal best, 8½ pounder and more 4's, 5's, and 6's than I can remember. It can be a tough lake. Many times you have to pull back to 20' to 30'...other times you have to bang it off the bank to get a bite.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

David, At least you know what isn't workin. Log it, so you can refer to it next year about this time.

9. Member
    Fished Arbuckle yesterday. Arrived about 10:30 AM and the lake was dead calm, cloudy, and warm enough I had short sleeves. Launched just south of McDonalds and began fishing a point east of the dam. Started with a frog colored rattletrap dragging off the shallow side into deeper water. Seven or eight casts hooked a fish in the 4lb range. Few minutes later caught another just a little larger than the rattle trap. Wind came up and the bite stopped. Fished a few other areas using a drop shot an caught three more in the 12" to 13" range in shallow cover. Wind calmed again around 4:30 and I went back to the point and tried the drop shot and a crank bait. Also ran the rattle trap but no bites. Five fish from 10:30 until right before dark. Really was a great day on the lake and warm for November. Really only one good fish but I did catch some. Also got to test top end on the Ranger with the Merc 150 XR6: 63 MPH at 5900 RPM half tank of gas, just me in the boat, 60 degrees F, lightly loaded, 23" Tempest, 18.5 foot Ranger. Hoping for another day like this.

David, did you get the PM I sent you?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    Yes but just a few moments ago. I sent a reply. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by David g View Post
    Yes but just a few moments ago. I sent a reply. Thanks so much.
    Nothing in my inbox. Did you hit the right button?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.