A-60 actuator hard to pull out

From the other threads I have read, it appears my A-60 actuator is functioning correctly. However, I was bleeding the brakes for the first time (new to me trailer) and couldn't find the screwdriver slot. So, I used a strap to compress the actuator. I then had to use a block of wood and a big hammer to drive it back out so I could compress it again. Should the actuator be that hard to pull out or should I be able to do it be hand?

It shouldn’t be that easy to pull out

Might get it to move a small amount but will take a lot of effort to get it fully extended

The slot/hole is just behind the release tab underneath the actuator

Attachment 301972
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    had to replace mine on a newtome trailer last year and the rollers between the actuator and exterior casing where rusted together and barely moving.this could be your case,it needs to move freely to actuate the piston.

4. Member
    Thank you guys. The large picture of where the slot is really helps Mich! I'm going to mess with it this weekend and see if there is any rust as you pointed out dan.

5. Member
    Really helpful You Tube videos on the A-60 available.

6. mikesxpress
    It's not going to come back out by hand.

It is recommended that the A-60 is stored fully extended. I drop my dolly relieving some pressure on the ball and bump the truck FWD a few times till it is extended prior to unhitching.

7. Member
    what year is this actuator? Don't be shy about spraying some lubricant up in there. It sounds like the top wear pad has become dislodged and is acting like a wedge. Try pulling the two big pins out and slide the actuator forward about 3-4 inches and see if the square wear pad is between the rollers on top.

Slide a #3 phillips head screw driver in the hole where your lock goes and pull it out. Chock a wheel first. I do this every time I park it in the garage.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I insert the lockout pin just before I back up the driveway. When I park I bump the truck forward until the pin falls out.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

10. Member
    there isn't a lockout pin on a UFP actuator.

Quote Originally Posted by DABS View Post

OK, lockout bracket. I call it a pin because technically it’s not a bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    Another easy solution is to either back the boat in and hit the brakes quickly. Inertia will cause the boat to pull the actuator back to fully extended. Otherwise, back in just a touch too far, then tap the accelerator to pull it out. If you back your boat in to park it, that will almost always leave it fully compressed since the backup brake lockout solenoid will be energized, making it really easy to compress the actuator. Lots of other approaches. IE chock the wheels then pull forward until you feel resistance, which will do the trick also.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    GUILTY --- I'll never call it a pin again.