Thread: Tracker Trailer

Tracker Trailer

I have a '94 TX17 and fish a lot of old strip mining pits that have very flat ramps. On some you are in to the exhaust pipe and still have to push the boat off. My question is what would be the best way to get the boat lowered on the trailer. Have been looking at receiver extensions but don't know if that will work. Any and all suggestions very welcome. Winter is coming fast and not looking forward to getting in the water to get the boat launched...............

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What size tires do you have on it now?

Bunk Slicks or something similar might make the process easier without lowering the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

We put 3" shackles on a leaf spring trailer to stop scraping into the driveway, could look into finding shorter shackles there simple to install if that approach works. I agree something like gatorbacks make them slip Easier on and off and don't need as much depth.

Mother options are to lower the bunk boards if possible, smaller tires, more or less drop hitch.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What size tires do you have on it now?

Bunk Slicks or something similar might make the process easier without lowering the trailer.
    It has stock 13" wheels. Have already put PVC cover full length, loads real easy

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    We put 3" shackles on a leaf spring trailer to stop scraping into the driveway, could look into finding shorter shackles there simple to install if that approach works. I agree something like gatorbacks make them slip Easier on and off and don't need as much depth.

Mother options are to lower the bunk boards if possible, smaller tires, more or less drop hitch.
    Will have to look into the shackle option, sounds like the way to go

6. Banned
    You will only gain half the distance you shorten them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post

I thought longer shackles lowered the trailer, shorter raised it.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I thought longer shackles lowered the trailer, shorter raised it.
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? Longer shackles bring the wheels closer to the trailer so it rides lower.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Just be aware that if you drop the frame closer to the axle you may not have enough travel space and they will hit with a jarring thud when road bumps are encountered.

On flat ramps when off loading by myself -- leave the bow strap attached but ratchet several feet of slack out.. reset the ratchet so it does not free spool.. then back in until the boat will float off---- slowly and carefully pull back out until I can stay on the pickup then the trailer to get in the boat.. normally it only takes about 2 feet of the boat hanging off and the motor will power it off.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? Longer shackles bring the wheels closer to the trailer so it rides lower.
    That's only true on a tandem, not a single axle. On a single axle it will raise the trailer.

11. Banned
    What you could do if you have fender clearance is put a spacer between the axle and the spring.

12. Member
    you are spot on Rocket Man

Consider installing a low-water roller lift system (like Ranger's lift-roller system).
    I had a sport boat on a bunk trailer years ago, and during drought years, couldn't get the boat off the trailer without submerging the truck. I fabricated some brackets that bolted onto the crossmembers of the trailer (should have ultimately welded them on).
    Used a couple of these, and drilled pivot holes for a pivot pin to fit in the brackets.

Joined the rollers with chain to an attachment point at the front of the trailer. Allowed me to back the boat in to "normal" trailer depth, unhook the winch strap and attach it to the lift roller chains. A couple cranks of the winch and the rollers pivoted upwards, lifting boat off the bunks just enough to allow it to be pushed off.
    I think I less than $100 invested in this set-up.
    You do need clearance for the chain between the cross member and boat hull for this to work.

14. Member
    ^^excellent. On my heavy glass boat that roller helps guide the boat far enough to let the bunks center it.^^