Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Masterbuilt electric smoker

I would like to start smoking some meat. I don't want to break the bank so was considering one of the 180 dollar models. Has anyone used one and if so what were the results ?

2. Banned
    There are many of us with Mastercraft electric smokers. I am still experimenting with my technique. You should find them really cheap on Black Friday. I got mine at Bass Pro at 4:00 am last B. Fri.

The price is right and they are very easy to use. Taste is not as good as a charcoal, however you can sleep thru the night with the Mastercraft on the timer. Beats stoking the fire every hour.

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I started out with an electric smoker and liked it. Now using charcoal. Big improvement

I have a Masterbuilt 40 electric, an egg, and an OK Joe stickburner. I like the MES because it's simple. Turn it on, toss in the meat, go about my life. It puts out good food for the family. Look around for the best price. Compare the 30 vs 40 for size. I do fish every once in a while and the extra space helps. Window? Mine has one but I don't see the point.

It's not compti-q or catering quality, but for the vast majority of real folks it's a winner. I'll buy another when this thing gives up. Probably 10 (?) years old now. I keep it inside when not using it. Only problem I had was a burnt connector on the element. Fixed it myself for less than $1.

5. Member
    My next question, get analog electric, digital electric or gas ?

I vote for digital electric. Plug in, set time, temp, add chips. You're set unless the power goes out.

7. Member
    Thanks!

I've had this one for almost 3 years now and couldn't be happier. The window is pointless but it has plenty of space when you have a crowd, and it is really set it and forget it. Academy will put them on sale for $199 twice a year, once should be coming up as it's around the thanksgiving/Christmas season.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

9. Member
    On my third. Started with one of the smaller black windowless units and am now on my 2nd larger unit with a window. As mentioned above the window is pointless. I found that the remote temp probe was off so I use an I grill mini.

For best flavor I found an offset smoker was the best. But you better be ready to monitor it all day long.I didn’t think there was enough difference between electric / wood to justify the work so electric is my vote.Set it and forget it.

I literally used my first smoker so much the wire connections etc inside became so corroded they broke. So I pieced it together for a good while until upgrading. I used my 2nd for several years until the control panel switch contacts were corroded from getting wet and would not work.

If you keep it outside get a good waterproof cover and it should last a long time.

10. Member
    I use the Masterbuilt electric smoker and it is the easiest best tasting smoker I have ever used. Highly recommend them for learning how to smoke meat.

11. Member
    I'm sold. My local academy has them. May pick one up this weekend. Any preference on wood chips.

12. Member
    Mesquite and Hickory are my favorite. I also got their cookbook and it gives good instructions for your first time. I got baby back ribs from my local sam's club. They were awesome the first try.

13. Member
    I am on my second Masterbuilt 30". This second one, i have added the slow smoker attachment. Instead of having to add chips every 45min or so, this does it all for me. My dad has the 40" and one of these also.

https://masterbuilt.com/product/2007...c-slow-smoker/

They run around $50 on amazon.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmbelt81 View Post
    I am on my second Masterbuilt 30". This second one, i have added the slow smoker attachment. Instead of having to add chips every 45min or so, this does it all for me. My dad has the 40" and one of these also.

https://masterbuilt.com/product/2007...c-slow-smoker/

They run around $50 on amazon.
    X2 this attachment makes it even easier. Wish I would have got it three years ago when I got the smoker.

15. Member
    That's an amazing device. That's precisely what I have been wanting to add to my homemade jerky / dried sausage maker for years.

16. Member
    Can the smokers stay at a low enough temp to smoke cheese ??? I always assumed mine could not

17. Member
    Just bought one today. First try was a success. Pork loin was smoking while my daughter and I were in the bow stand. Got home to great eats!

Sounds good! I like how easy they are to use. Ribs are a good way to start also. I don't get fancy with them. Put on rub, put in at 230 for 4 hours. Eat. A bunch of different ways, but I'm lazy. I prefer spareribs, but do St. Louis or BB's when I get a good price. I make my own rub because I don't like salt and generally have most spices on the shelf. I'll throw stuff in just to change things up. Experiment.

http://amazingribs.com/ has good info.

19. Member
    Got a fresh backstrap on there now. Daughter arrowed this one this morning %5BIMG%5Dhttp://i65.tinypic.com/2qi8qxj.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

20. Banned
    I had the gas smoker then bought the electric and ip didn't like it as much as the gas so I gave it away and bought another gas smoker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast