Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I found that the remote temp probe was off.
    Maybe that's what is the issue on mine.....I got the 30" smoker and used it several time, great food......i did a pork loin, used the prob and did as mentioned and when the time went off the prob was the correct temp but when i cut into the loin i wasnt completely done....

But love the smoker as i never smoked before....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I went with a Bradley that I found on sale at Menards for around $220. All stainless steel, insulated, refrigerator door type seal and multiple heat settings for either cold smoking or with heat. It has the automatic feed for the wood discs, one every 20 minutes. It is electric and I plugged it into a timer so I can set it and forget it. Did whole ducks, goose breast and a brisket. All turned out delicious. Simple brine of salt, garlic and brown sugar.

3. Member
    What temp should I cook about a 5 pound brisket. And how long.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    What temp should I cook about a 5 pound brisket. And how long.
    I like to go a little faster than some so I go for 225. I cant quite say how long as I never go by time. I use a remote temp probe and just check it every so often. Pull with about 195-200

I do corned beef briskets about that size. 225-235 and plan on about an hour a pound. That's an estimate for an eating time. I go by temp also but it's close. Bigger briskets I plan on 1.5 hours/lb. If we want to eat at 5, I'll shoot for the meat to be done by 3 and put it on accordingly.

6. Member
    Thanks gents, I will be giving it a go today.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    I do corned beef briskets about that size. 225-235 and plan on about an hour a pound. That's an estimate for an eating time. I go by temp also but it's close. Bigger briskets I plan on 1.5 hours/lb. If we want to eat at 5, I'll shoot for the meat to be done by 3 and put it on accordingly.
    Smoking corned beef is one of my favorites. Am I correct in saying that smoked corned beef is then considered pastrami ?

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Smoking corned beef is one of my favorites. Am I correct in saying that smoked corned beef is then considered pastrami ?
    Close enough for government work. I'm sure there's a deli owner in NYC that would blow a gasket but it works for me.

9. Member
    Cooked at 220 for 7 hours. Excellent bark and flavor. Tough as hell though. Not sure if it was my method or the poor quality of the meat. I will say I didn't let it rest or wrap it or anything. Came home from hunting. Cut it up and we ate it.

I've had a couple like that. Thought I had it wired and they came out dry. No big deal. Chopped them up and turned them into chili.

I look for choice, packer trim @ 9lbs. Price varies around here between $3 and $6/lb. Prefer to trim my own rather than get the ones with all the fat sliced off. The corned beef flats are pretty lean and I pull them early.

11. Member
    Great video about cooking brisket by one of the best. (Myron Nixon)

12. Member
    Cooked another 6 pound brisket and cooked about 3 hours longer. Tender and delicious.

13. Member
    Tough equals under cooked or just a terrible piece of meat. Dry and crumbly equals over cooked.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmbelt81 View Post
    I am on my second Masterbuilt 30". This second one, i have added the slow smoker attachment. Instead of having to add chips every 45min or so, this does it all for me. My dad has the 40" and one of these also.

https://masterbuilt.com/product/2007...c-slow-smoker/

They run around $50 on amazon.
    X2 for me, I simply love the cold smoker option. I do cheese on it which I would not be able to do without it. I also smoke meat prior to adding heat so I get the level of smoke I want without overcooking it. I also have my first smoker which was an old enclosed aluminum bread delivery cart, about 2'x2'x7'. I fired it with loggs, it worked for bigger jobs, but my electric Masterbuilt is my go to smoker now.

Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12