Hp170 rated for 90 HP max. Seen a few members with 115 HP

I seen a placard in the boat saying 90 HP is the largest motor I can run with my 2001 HP170. How many of you guys are running a larger motor than what is allowed by the CG? Ive seen at least one thread with someone running a 115 on a 01 model. Not sure how much as changed on the boat in a year.

2. Member
    Found this article today and thought of this thread. It appears the 90 hp rating on the HP 170 was a 2001 only limitation, subsequent years increased the max rating for the HP 170 to 115 hp. I'm speculating that the most likely reason was a change in transom/stringer design or additional bracing to accommodate the extra hp and torque.

http://www.fishingworld.com/fishing-...r-rating-boost

That being said, I do not recommend installing a higher hp rating than what the data plate specifies on any boat.
    2008 G3 Eagle 170
    Yamaha 90 2 Stroke (TX Boat)

2007 G3 HP 170
    Yamaha 115 2 Stroke (MN Boat)

3. Member
    Most boats are rated below Coast Guard maximums. The Coast Guard formula only takes length and width into consideration. Materials and design are not considered. It might have been a marketing decision because they decided they would sell more with a 115 than a 90.

4. Member
    Thank you for posting this article. I may contact the G3 dealer and ask if I can put a 115 on it.

5. Member
    Good luck. I had wanted to increase the people capacity on a boat, dealer said, "NO"! Once that tag is their, its their.

The 90 and 115 Optimax are the same motors. So CG would be no different. There are a couple of options to solve your issue. You can try to get a new placard but I would bet a C note, you won’t succeed. You can have one redone by Garzon Studios with a 115 listed. They make genuine replacement placards and will pass any state inspection.

The best and easiest is to just flash your 90 ECU to 115 and run it. No one other than you will know.

Here is a thread on it... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ighlight=Flash

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Thanks for this interesting option. However I dont have a 90, I have a 70hp. I dont think I can do the ECU swap with a 70 hp