Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Bow Roller - still issues

I made the stortz bow roller replacement on my 2016 819 but I still seem to be getting quite a bit of rubbing, and even have a small chip now. Has anyone had continued troubles even after making the change? Anything else I can try? It is becoming a thorn in my side and I am starting to worry that I'm going to get some rub through of the first layer of gel.

2. Member
    This may sound silly but on my other boat I always placed a microfiber cloth on the roller I even carried a few extras in my truck incase I lost one loading or launching. They worked amazingly. When I sold my last boat after many years not one scuff. I will be repeating this on the new one as well.

Hope that helps you out
    Risen From The Ashes!!

Does anyone have pics of this? I bought the replacement roller but am still unsure of what the actual issue is.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    the main issue with the rollers is they were flattening out and the boat was just sliding up and the extra large end caps were rubbing the gel, be sure on the new Stoltz that they are the orange ones and in most cases the bolt needed to be replaced, the factory bolt may be too short, the roller needs to spin freely. I also recommend some lithium grease on the bolt and on the inside ends of the roller and caps.

there were some other issue related to the front of the bunks being to low and putting to much weight on the roller, that was usually solved by the shim kit from marine master but that shouldn't be an issue on the newer models
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

5. Member
    Drew, I got the kit from you including the new bolt so it seems to me everything should be good. idk what the issue is.....the roller doesn't necessarily "spin" real well but it certainly rolls when you apply light pressure. I had already thought of the idea of putting a microfiber on the roller from now on....and since someone else posted about it already, that's the way I'm going.

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman1282 View Post
    Drew, I got the kit from you including the new bolt so it seems to me everything should be good. idk what the issue is.....the roller doesn't necessarily "spin" real well but it certainly rolls when you apply light pressure. I had already thought of the idea of putting a microfiber on the roller from now on....and since someone else posted about it already, that's the way I'm going.
    so far everyone said they had excellent results compared to the factory roller, does it seem to be loading straight? I know a couple posted that there boat loads off to one side. check the weight on the bow, unhook the strap and see if you can lift up on the bow and spin the roller. just curious, I know with out much effort with one hand I can lift mine about 1/4"
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

7. Member
    Ok, I have a 2012 921 I bought new and I can't lift the bow. How much are the shim kits and are the hard to put on?

8. Member
    Mine was pretty bad also. Finally had a chance to change out my roller for the Stoltz yesterday. I also added 1 shim to the front of the inside bunks, but I still can't budge the front of my boat with the winch cable detached. By the looks of my old roller, I'm guessing there is way to much weight on the front of mine and I'm going to have to add more shims. The boat is a 16 model that has only been in the water about 6 times. I'm curious if yours might be very heavy on the roller as well. I'm about ready to drag mine to Marine Master and make them fix it. My nearest ramp is not very steep and when I back the trailer in far enough to be able to winch the boat up, it comes in under the roller. When I pull up so the bow comes over the roller, the boat is too heavy for me to winch all the way up.
    Last edited by Dock Holiday; 10-31-2017 at 04:23 PM.

9. Member
    I am guessing but sounds like you may have too much weight on the roller. My 3.5 year old boat got the shim kit about 18 months into its life because it came in chronically under the roller unless I had the trailer super shallow. That kit may be the reason I did not develop terrible marks on my hull from the original roller even though it was deformed like the one in the above post. I still sense I have too much weight on my roller but can you imagine how much I had before I installed 1/4inch shim and moved bunks forward to get more lift.

p.s. my side rollers rotate now just barely with boat loaded.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dock Holiday View Post
    Mine was pretty bad also. Finally had a chance to change out my roller for the Stoltz yesterday. I also added 1 shim to the front of the inside bunks, but I still can't budge the front of my boat with the winch cable detached. By the looks of my old roller, I'm guessing there is way to much weight on the front of mine and I'm going to have to add more shims. The boat is a 16 model that has only been in the water about 6 times. I'm curious if yours might be very heavy on the roller as well. I'm about ready to drag mine to Marine Master and make them fix it. My nearest ramp is not very steep and when I back the trailer in far enough to be able to winch the boat up, it comes in under the roller. When I pull up so the bow comes over the roller, the boat is too heavy for me to winch all the way up.
    Why would you want to winch the boat up with the hand winch? They drive on just fine.

11. Member
    I can't lift mine off the roller. Is something out of adjustment? I have a 250 Merc and two Talons so a lot of weight on the back. You would think the bow would lift up. I've already replaced the roller with the Stoltz.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    Why would you want to winch the boat up with the hand winch? They drive on just fine.
    Not that I want to hand winch, but if I can't, that tells me the trailer isn't backed in far enough or the bunks are not at the proper height. I don't want to be tearing the carpet off my bunks or roughing up the gel coat by power loading the boat when everything isn't right.

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Phoenix View Post
    I can't lift mine off the roller. Is something out of adjustment? I have a 250 Merc and two Talons so a lot of weight on the back. You would think the bow would lift up. I've already replaced the roller with the Stoltz.
    I would think that the longer boats may be a little bit heavier on the front and may not lift as easy as a 919 but the bunks are ment to carry the weight. If it's loading good and staying above the roller it's probably fine. I was just curious for my own knowledge if others were as light on the roller as mine.
    info@drewcraft.com

14. Member
    Mine is a 618 and I can't budge the front with both arms under it even after adding 1 shim to the front of each center bunk. Surely my 618 doesn't weigh as much as yours.

15. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Mine is a 618 and I can't budge the front with both arms under it even after adding 1 shim to the front of each center bunk. Surely my 618 doesn't weigh as much as yours.
    I agree, just curious how thick are the shims?
    info@drewcraft.com

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    Several of the ramps in my area you cannot power load your boat and in most cases you have to crank it up the last little bit. I've noticed my 618 is way more picky on getting the trailer depth just right compared to my two champs I had previously.
    2016 Phoenix 618 Mercury 175 ProXS

17. Banned

If you can't power load or don't want to I would suggest getting Gatorbaks. These boats and trailers were kinda designed to power load. Gatorbaks will allow you to winch up easier than carpet.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

19. Banned
    Not that I want to hand winch, but if I can't, that tells me the trailer isn't backed in far enough or the bunks are not at the proper height. I don't want to be tearing the carpet off my bunks or roughing up the gel coat by power loading the boat when everything isn't right.

That makes zero sense.... Sounds like your coming from a metal little boat to me. The type where the trailers have poles sticking up so those guys get out get wet and crank their boat up. They can do that because of the poles. If you add the poles to your trailer you too could, you would need to back in until your roller out of the water about a foot. The poles would keep your boat lined up so it lands on the bunks as you pull out. Without the poles loading this way would be a crap shoot as the boat can land crooked on the bunks or be blown by wind all the way off the trailer.

Ive NEVER heard of anyone using the hand crank for anything more than to secure the bow or if they are broken down... These are big boats, that hand crank is only EVER going to pull the boat when it is completely floating above the bunks, which is what you have to do if your not driving it on because your broke down.

I cant pull my boat forward with the hand crank, on flat ground with soaked bunks if the hook is a half inch off the pin, period.

20. Member
    I think the problem is finding the sweet spot for these trailers. My other boat was easier to load because the trailer was keyed to the keel. These boats are a little different and are much lower to the ground. Thus they need to go deeper into the water. I think the best is having just an inch of the front fender out of the water. Also if you cant see the center line you could attach a marker pole to the winch so you know how close you are getting.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast