Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Jim- My gut says it a quality control issue mostly with build of trailer and some that the basic fit of trailer to boat is still not perfected. Seems some guys load with no issue.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Wow that is bad. I called Tim at Phoenix and had a call the next day from Marine Master telling me they would send a shim kit. The kit consisted of steel blocks 3/4" to 1 1/8' thick. About 10 in total. The hardware they sent was incredibly wrong but the kit did come with instructions. This was the first time I spoke with Claude. This was back in July and I recieved the shims in August.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dock Holiday View Post
    This is exactly the problem that needs to be addressed by Marine Master. I have also been dealing with Claude Easley. I got the run around for months before Claude, who, for some reason, replaced the guy that was supposed to be helping me, finally sent me a Stoltz roller and a set of 6 shims. At no time did he try to claim that Marine Master didn't make a shim kit. He did say that he might have to had them made. Took several more weeks and another email to finally get the shims. I received 6, approximately 3"x3"x3/8 plastic shims. They appear to be rough cut with little attention to straight cuts, proper hole alignment or finished edges. Not one matches another. I also received no instruction on how to install them to achieve my suggested 1" front, and 1/2" middle bunk height increase. The closest I can come up with is 2 shims at the front of each center bunk and 1 in the center of each center bunk. This still wouldn't give me increase I suggested and may cause misalignment of the outer bunks but I don't see any other way to place 6 shims. So far I just tried 1 shim at the front of each center bunk just to see if a small height increase would make any difference. It didn't seem to. If nothing else, it's obvious that Marine Master has issues, not only with their trailers, but also their customer service, especially when the same person is telling at least 2 different owners, completely opposite stories. My trailer is the only thing I'm not happy with about my new boat.
    Unfortunately the marine master trailer seems to be the weak link in the Phoenix package right now. It sounds like I'm gonna have place another call to Claude and work on getting the shim kit from marine master.
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXp w/250 YamahaSHO

4. Member
    I hope you have better luck. I think I could have built better shims myself but I feel like Marine Master should take care of it since it's a brand new trailer.

I like my boat but the trailer is enough to make me look elsewhere when I buy another boat. I'm going with a boat company that makes their own trailers.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I like my boat but the trailer is enough to make me look elsewhere when I buy another boat. I'm going with a boat company that makes their own trailers.
    Something positive. I have never towed a trailer that pulled as good and I don't even have the duel axle. Loading quirks- yes but the tow quality for me is top notch.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    Something positive. I have never towed a trailer that pulled as good and I don't even have the duel axle. Loading quirks- yes but the tow quality for me is top notch.
    I agree, it does tow very nice with the shocks.
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXp w/250 YamahaSHO

8. Member
    Maybe they'll start making their own trailers in the future?? Skeeter is starting to and BassCat and Ranger have been forever. It seems like it'd make sense

My approach was i bought the boat AND trailer from Phoenix so I quit calling MM and called Tim at Phoenix. I had a call and satifaction from MM the next day. I see no reason to call MM. Phoenix has all the leverage with them. Just my opinion

10. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    i did powerload when I had carpet bunks. Then the carpet started to fail and I decided to go with Gatorbacks to help avoid blisters. Gatorbacks don't like powerloading.
    All these ways to load your boat are personal preferences if you ask me. I power on with Gatorbaks (or carpet) no matter what ramp I'm at unless it is forbidden per lake rules.
    Anyway, to me...gatorbaks power load the same as carpet. I can't tell any difference.
    And why are people so worried about rub marks on bottom of boat where it goes on the bunks???...that's gonna happen, it's part of trailering, regardless of carpet or Gatorbaks.
    I agree with jeffjoldersma. Drive it on, hook it up and go.

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Evidently these are very isolated issues with a few random trailers and just certain ramps. not doubting that those few that posted does have issues and need shims and yes those bow rollers were kinda of crappy and that has now been changed on the new models and anyone with and old yellow one who wants to upgrade to a Stoltz I will be happy to help you acquire one. Somtimes these threads get overloaded with negatives and causes others to start looking for problems.
    I would like to say to the new guys who just ordered boats and to those looking at Phoenix's, don't let this trailer issue discourage you. These are great trailers, the pull great and are built solid and have some great options.
    myself and 3 friends own Phoenix's, and we all have zero issues loading at any ramp. I spoke with 3 new Phoenix owners at the ramp this weekend and they all said they loved there new boats and they loaded great.
    to those of you who do have problems Im sure Phoenix will work with Marine Master to see that they come up with a solution.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Well said Dave and Andy. I echo every statement.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

13. Member
    Doesn't matter who builds the trailers. If Phoenix built their own trailers, you would still have a normal amount of issues. All the companies that make their own trailers still have issues. They all buy most of the components from the same places. Dexter axle has purchased most of the trailer parts suppliers out there. All that would be accomplished by the boat company building the trailer, is there would be no middle man if there is an issue.

Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Evidently these are very isolated issues with a few random trailers and just certain ramps. not doubting that those few that posted does have issues and need shims and yes those bow rollers were kinda of crappy and that has now been changed on the new models and anyone with and old yellow one who wants to upgrade to a Stoltz I will be happy to help you acquire one. Somtimes these threads get overloaded with negatives and causes others to start looking for problems.
    I would like to say to the new guys who just ordered boats and to those looking at Phoenix's, don't let this trailer issue discourage you. These are great trailers, the pull great and are built solid and have some great options.
    myself and 3 friends own Phoenix's, and we all have zero issues loading at any ramp. I spoke with 3 new Phoenix owners at the ramp this weekend and they all said they loved there new boats and they loaded great.
    to those of you who do have problems Im sure Phoenix will work with Marine Master to see that they come up with a solution.
    I enjoyed reading this post. Thanks

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    I enjoyed reading this post. Thanks
    Me too
    Risen From The Ashes!!

17. Member
    I didn't have any problems with the factory yellow bow roller that came on my 18 PHX. That said I bought drews orange stolz roller after seeing pictures of damage done just to make sure I wouldn't have a problem. I've loaded on shallow and extremely steep ramps with the new drew roller and it works flawless. The roller rolls perfectly and this trailer has been super easy to load since day 1. That being said most trailer problems are user error in my mind. I see everybody put their trailer so far into the water and I do the opposite....if I'm short of the roller I get down on the extra large bow step and crank her up with the winch. I literally haven't had 1 issue loading this boat since I bought it. I love the trailer and the boat. Thanks drew for offering the bow roller and bolt that made it super easy to change just for piece of mind

For what it’s worth-
    I’ve never had issues driving my 721 on the trailer. I didn’t have issues with the stock roller either. Yes, I had some bow roller marks, roller material but no permanent marks, mostly from me not centering the boat on the trailer either due to wind or just my miscalculation. I figured the bow roller is designed to be a softer material and a bit sacrificial leaving a little material on the bow that usually easily peals or rubs off. If it didn’t the glass would have to give. As far as scratches, I never developed any from the stock roller. I had the Stolz roller on my last trailer and liked it so I did add the Stolz roller to the 721 trailer. Loads the same as before. I think the Stolz is made from better composite material than the stock roller and will be easier on the boat. But get grit and grime on the Stolz roller and it will scratch too.
    I usually idle on and that gets the bow hook to within 2-6” of the roller. The bow is usually over the roller but depending on the ramp, I may have to tilt the motor up and gas it to get it over the roller but have never needed to power load. Use the winch to snugg it up the last bit.
    I do have Gatorbaks. My carpeted bunks were full of sand when I bought the boat in 2015 and left scratches where the boat sat on the bunks (it’s a 2013 model).

Overall, I wouldn’t let the Phoenix trailer discourage me from buying a truly fabulous, top notch boat! There’s too much about the ride, layout, performance, quality and customer service that outweigh the trailer loading issue some are having. Plus, I agree with Drew and others, the trailer is well made, pulls great and has good options available.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123