Need help with noisy Talon's.

I recently purchased a boat with dual 8ft Talon's. Living in South Florida, I fish Lake Okeechobee and we are constantly using our shallow water anchors. When deploying them, they make what I consider lots of noise. I've done some research and read about extending the Talons and applying WD40 to lubricate, but I would think that would not be a long term solution. Has anyone experienced this, if so, were you able to solve the issue?

Thanks.
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

2. Gray
    I agree. I have two 10' models on my boat and they are loud. The worst noise is when retracting. It is a very loud sound when they lock back in the up position. I'm like you, if anyone knows a solution for that I'm all ears. I have never tried the WD40.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

3. Gray
    I agree. I have two 10' models on my boat and they are loud. The worst noise is when retracting. It is a very loud sound when they lock back in the up position. I'm like you, if anyone knows a solution for that I'm all ears. I have never tried the WD40.
    2017 Tracker 195 TXW Tournament Edition
    Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80
    Minn Kota 10' Talon x2
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live

Quote Originally Posted by ernie_diaz View Post
    I've done some research and read about extending the Talons and applying WD40 to lubricate, but I would think that would not be a long term solution. Has anyone experienced this, if so, were you able to solve the issue?

Thanks.
    This is pretty much what it says in my owners manual. I do mine about twice a year and noise is not that bad. Another thing I do is extend them in deep water and idle a few yards. This helps keep them clean. This is also suggested in the owner's manual.

5. Member
    Idling in deep water helps more than anything. I also spray mine with Wd-40 a couple times a year but I think idling does more good

6. Member
    I guess WD-40 and the deep water cleaning method is the way to go. Do you guys spray the entire sections with WD-40, or just certain pieces?
    Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he spends $60,000 on a boat and releases all the fish.

I fully extend mine and spray everything that is extended. I spay it until WD40 is dripping off it. I do this once or twice a year. I don't have tilt brackets but in this situation I wish I had them. Tilt brackets would make it easier. Having to remove/re-install only takes about 10 minutes but if I had tilt brackets it would be a 1 minute job. Anyways one of the best things you can do to keep them clean (which helps keep them quite) is anytime you know you extended them in mud is clean them ASAP. What I do is if I am in shallow water I try to stop them from retracting leaving about a foot or less sticking down. Typically the last few inches is what's muddy. I leave them retracted with a foot or less out and continue fishing. Leaving them down and moving around on the trolling motor will help dissolve/wash the mud away. Sometimes I also idle for a few yards with just a foot out to clean the tip that was in the mud. At the end of the day I find deep water and fully retract them and idle a few yards. This really only takes a few seconds. It may be overkill but its not really any hassle for me. I feel confident it works because I have been doing this since day one and I have never had any noise issues.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I will start cleaning them at the lake going forward.

9. Member
    Buy power poles, lol! But in all seriousness, there is a WD-40 lithium grease. That is what a buddy of mine uses on his talons. I use it on my Jack plate and power pole joints and it works really well and lasts.

10. Banned
    Isnt that dumping a lot of oil in our waterways?

11. Banned
    I dont have tallons yet but wd40 is a obsolete lubricant in 2017 as far as I am concerned there have been much better products out for years.

I use royal purple max film on anything I would have used wd on.... I buy the royal purple by the case and use it on my jeep after power washing It has a ton of heim joints etc. I also use it on my tractor.

the lithium grease may be good also, I bought one of each wd type product about 8 years ago at the local hardware store and tried them all, many I tossed immediately. I am unsure if the lithium was in there. I was trying to get away from the max film I have to order in.

12. Member
    I use blaster silicone lubricant, works great much better than WD40https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blaster-11-...653299:Blaster.

13. Member
    Take the top cap off and wash the in side out. Lots of people forget this, but it is a big dirt trap in there.

14. Member
    Thanks for the tips guys. I cleaned them this weekend, and they sound better. I still think the electric motor is still pretty loud, but the sections deploy quieter now. I'm hoping they will deploy even quieter when they are upright, not laying down (I'm assuming there is more friction based on the weight of the sections when it's laying down). I also removed the top cap and cleaned and lubricated where the motor attaches to the small drum with the cable.

Mine were grinding really bad a couple years ago and I used marine grease on mine and it hasn’t made that awful sound since.

16. Banned
    I find the graphite grease that dries works well.
    http://www.jigaloo.ca/lubricant/3-graphite-extreme.htmlhttp://www.jigaloo.ca/lubricant/3-graphite-extreme.html

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    I dont have tallons yet but wd40 is a obsolete lubricant in 2017 as far as I am concerned there have been much better products out for years.

I use royal purple max film on anything I would have used wd on.... I buy the royal purple by the case and use it on my jeep after power washing It has a ton of heim joints etc. I also use it on my tractor.

the lithium grease may be good also, I bought one of each wd type product about 8 years ago at the local hardware store and tried them all, many I tossed immediately. I am unsure if the lithium was in there. I was trying to get away from the max film I have to order in.
    That's exactly what I was going to post. Much better stuff than wd40. I would think a good grease would work real good. I know on my Bob's plate I put a marine grease and in a few months it was needing more. I put some heavy duty bearing grease for big trucks and it's still there and doing the job. I would think I could smear that on there and it will stay for a while

18. Member
    WD 40 was made to displace the water. "greases" will ball or wad up in water. Graphite will become like a slick mud.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]