Sturgeon Bay-Early May

Planning a trip to do some smallmouth fishing and was wondering how the fishing usually around this time ?

Epic

3. Member
    Early May is usually the peak. The weather can really blow things up though and there have been tournaments cancelled because of it. This is really big water that can be brutal on your equipment so be prepared.

4. Member
    Normally back to back large tournaments the middle 2 weekends in May. You can see by their weights in past years it can be awesome.

5. Member
    Ok, Where is the good places to stay? Don't need anything fancy, Just a place to lay our heads down and a hot shower?

6. Member
    I like Beach Harbor Resort right on Sturgeon Bay. It has a launch, fisherman friendly, and a bar and grill.

7. Member
    We have stayed at Robertson's Cottages before in Sawyer Harbor. We actually stayed on one of their island cottages. Nothing fancy but was pretty cool. We just loaded the boats with everything and made a couple of trips to the cabin with our supplies. The island is only a few hundred yards from the boat ramp so it didn't take long. The harbor is protected so no need to worry about your boat on the dock.

8. Member
    Beach harbor is nice and so is the Best Western. Don't forget to go to Graystone Castle in Sturgeon Bay and get the prime rib sandwich.

Beach Harbor is my favorite to stay at and I second GreyStone for their prime rib and fair prices. There is a lot of fishing pressure that time of the year but there are also so many fish it usually isn't a problem. There is also great fishing on both sides of the bay and lake side so you can get away from the tournament boundaries or avoid the wind.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    Beach Harbor is my favorite to stay at and I second GreyStone for their prime rib and fair prices. There is a lot of fishing pressure that time of the year but there are also so many fish it usually isn't a problem. There is also great fishing on both sides of the bay and lake side so you can get away from the tournament boundaries or avoid the wind.
    Yes the Lake side can be good though an east wind has a tendency to make the fish disappear unless you get in the Mink River

11. Member
    We stay at the Chal-A a lot. Cheap, clean, good boat parking by the haunted car museum and walking distance to Culvers. Beach Harbor is great too.