Thread: Tackle buying

Tackle buying

What's up gang? So since we've made the move back down here, I've been trying to go through a lot of things and was going through my filing cabinet earlier tonight.

Something I started doing several years ago is to keep all my receipts related to my fishing, ie gas, hotels, tournament fees, and especially tackle. I know I know, I can hear all of you collectively thinking, "dang dude, you're sick in the head!" Trust me, I came to that realization years ago! And believe me, it can be quite depressing when you start to add it up after a bad tournament season. The thing is, it can also give you some very interesting and also very valuable information. Here is a couple of things that I found.

First off, where I buy tackle. Before I moved to Alabama, I did quite a bit of business with Tackle Warehouse, so much so in fact that those guys knew me on a first name basis. Yet after living in the center of the bass fishing universe for the last 4 years that has changed. Up in North Alabama, I noticed that the tournament guys were very, very loyal to the local tackle shops, and I became that way for a very good reason. The two main tackle shops I bought from up there were Gray's Tackle in Tuscumbia and one of BBC'S very own, the Tackle Trap.

Now to the reason why. Up there, tackle shop owners are also very, very loyal to their customers. I can tell you for a fact, the Gray family and Brian will go totally out of their way to take care of you. If they don't have it on the shelf, no problem they will get it for you. Also, the tackle shops up there do everything they can to stay on top of what is going on and what is new in the fishing world. Another great shop up there is the Scottsboro Tackle Co. If you haven't tried out their signature swimbaits, trust me you should. The owner's husband pours everyone of them himself. That's right boys, the owner is a lady and she is damn knowledgeable to. If you ever want to find out what a real tackle shop is all about, any or all of these shops will fill the bill, but if you do go, make sure to have two things, well, make it three: 1)plenty of time cause there is plenty to see, 2) plenty of money cause you'll find a ton of stuff you "need," & 3) good fresh lungs because there are plenty of BS'ers and tons of laughing going on.

Now to the second thing I discovered, buying patterns. Looking through everything, I noticed that over the last few years I've become very much laser focused with my tackle buying. In other words, I don't just run out and buy something just because it is new on the market. I've also become very brand loyal, especially when it comes to crankbaits. Now this doesn't mean I'm spending less, well actually I am but that is because I'm investing a lot into my business not because of what I buy.

Alright, finally after the long read here is my questions to you guys.
    1) Where ya spending your hard earned money? Internet or with locals? If you've got a favorite tackle shop, brag on em or give em some love as they say. Maybe you have a gripe with your local shops, let's hear those as well.
    2) What ya buying? Are you a focused buyer or are you the person that has to try out the new bait as soon as it hits the shelves?

Sorry for the long read gang but I'm trying to get you guys talking again. On one of the threads it was just me and rboren talking. So let's hear it! Good, bad, and the ugly, bring it on!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

Nothing! Come on guys, you gotta be kidding me!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

3. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    I buy everything I can from the Tackle Trap. Brian is a good friend and has a great shop and selection. If he can't get something I then go tacklewarehouse.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

4. Member
    With 3 Bass Pro's, 2 Cabelas within a half hour and Walmarts everywhere I buy local. Some local bait stores but most of them are a mess. Dicks for some bait when it's on sale. Hardly ever online.
    Please release me,let me go.

5. Moderator
    Like Andy said, I buy from tackle trap, tackle warehouse and academy. Local businesses are to high and make sure everybody knows what being purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix921 View Post
    and make sure everybody knows what being purchased.
    That is total BS right there! That is the only reason I have that will cause me to NEVER spend another dime in a person's shop.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

7. Member
    I buy as much as I can from a local.(Lonnie's in Corinth) Grew up with Tom.(owner) And have found I don't save anything much on regular fishing tackle on line. Things he don't sell much of, he is too high. like electronics for an example,he doesn't handle any volume. Things like that,he pays high for because he don't have a good supplier. That leaves him very little room for profit to begin with. The only way I order on line is I am ordering something that he doesn't handle or has sold out of. There is also a pretty good Local shop in Tupelo.(clay's) If I am in BPS,I WILL buy something. It's in my face and too tempting!

I know what you mean Ron! It's the reason I won't go see a shrink, it's a sickness man. They just liable to lock a brother up in a padded room!

I've been in Lonnie ' s a few times. Never had the chance to meet the owner that I am aware, but everybody is always super nice when I go.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

My last two orders have been from Tackle Trap. We only have a couple of local tackle dealers here. They tend to run out of stuff that I use. Not only that, A lure that I can buy local, I can find a lot cheaper online. I still try my best to give our locals some business. Brian at Tackle Trap is just up the road a bit, so I consider him local now.

Hard to beat Brian & his staff for sure.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

11. Member
    I have been buying a lot of my stuff at a local walmart , back in late spring they had some ridiculous clearance deals on sk crankbaits 1.5, 2.5's $2-2.50 and spook jr's ($2) I bought almost all of them also seagar red label flourocarbon and power pro super slick braid ($5) yes I bought all the red label and 6-7 spools of power pro. I usually stop by weekly just to look for deals..sometimes they have them, sometimes not. 2 weeks ago strike king rodents on sale $1 a pack... Yes I bought them all. As far as spinner baits and buzz baits I pour my own. Also paint my own baits so I'm always looking for beat up baits in trees or floating. Sometimes will buy blanks to paint or if there are good deals on unpopular color patterns for cheap I will buy and re-paint. All my jigs and chatter baits I purchase the jig heads etc. from lurepartsonline and assemble them myself. you can get 3-5 jigs with no skirt for <$5 then I throw skirts on them, not nearly concerned about losing any when they only cost 1.25-1.50 a piece. Anything I cannot build myself I get from tackle warehouse or local (swimbaits and frogs mostly) My brother knew a fella in that had acquired several lots of fishing supplies and I browsed through it and found some tungsten.. 1/8-1 oz weights. the fella just assumed they were lead or did not know the difference so sold them to me for 0.25 a pack... I have a pretty good supply of tungsten from that awesome deal and havent bought any in about 2 years.

Dang dude that deal on tungsten is flippin awesome! You're definitely right about wally world having some deals to. I've bought several spools of braid there dirt cheap before.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

13. Member
    I buy 99.9 % of my gear on Tackle Warehouse. I do have a bass pro 10 mins down the road from me. I go there 3+ days a week lately and it's not to buy gear...it's because its typically the first thing my 3 year old says when he wakes up in the morning. However I do use bass pro to see certain things in person before I buy online.

I have become brand loyal as well. I did this for my own benefit.. it makes it easier to organize, maintain, and understand behaviors of each style of bait, rod, and reel.

I am not loyal to one brand, but a few. For instance all my cranks are either Spro or Lucky Craft now. I used to have 10 or so brands in boxes and it was always a mess and hard to remember exactly which bait ran 14ft and which would actually hit 16ft even though they looked to be very similar in shape and lip size.

My plastics are narrowed down to a few brands depending on style.. for instance all my swim baits are keitech. I used to have way too many options to choose from and its extremely unnecessary.