Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hot Foot Pros and Cons

What's the consensus on hot foots? I have been told they are an essential safety feature but I have also heard reports of them getting stuck resulting in the boat running into the stuff causing boat damage.

2. Member
    If they were professionally installed and adjusted properly with proper spring tension and no cable binding, getting stuck is a non issue. I would only recommend them for boats that have enough power to get out of the water and chinewalk at top speeds...for safety reasons to keep both hands on the wheel. Otherwise not necessary at 50 mph top speeds and below.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

3. Member
    I had one installed on my new boat. It makes driving very easy and intuitive for someone who hasn't spent much time in the drivers seat. Mine was installed at the dealer, it does stick a little bit at the low end, essentially keeping it in "High Idle" but it has a hook on top, so its really easy to pull it back a bit. I test drove the boat without it, and having to keep only one hand on the wheel made it a little difficult.

LOVE MINE! The first couple of times you run with one it feels a little strange, but you'll get used to it quickly. I had one installed on my previous boat and then on my new one! I won't have another boat without one. I had both mine installed and adjusted by a dealer, and haven't had ANY trouble with them sticking.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinn View Post
    I had one installed on my new boat. It makes driving very easy and intuitive for someone who hasn't spent much time in the drivers seat. Mine was installed at the dealer, it does stick a little bit at the low end, essentially keeping it in "High Idle" but it has a hook on top, so its really easy to pull it back a bit. I test drove the boat without it, and having to keep only one hand on the wheel made it a little difficult.
    Hey Spinn...increase the tension on the return spring by adjusting the bolt that it is attached to and that should fix that issue.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

Odd man out. I don't like em and never have. Call me old skool I guess.

7. Member
    Love it - used on several buddies and with the rough water and many turns in the Delta it's invaluable. If it's glassy and lower speeds, I was fine without. The latest boat has one and so will future boats. Only downside is that when loading I have to keep a foot on the pedal, can't kneel in the seat like before to see over the bow.
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

Love mine but it's all oxidized looks like crap.

Soda blasting will have it like new. Good diy project:)

10. Member
    I just had a hot foot and a blinker trim put on my old ranger. I can't imagine not having them. Hands never leave the wheel. Like said they have a hook to pull the pedal up if needed.

11. Member
    Only con is is a fast idle through a no wake zone. My home lake is mostly no wake. One end to the other would be an hour ride.

Not sure why anyone would choose to drive a bass boat with one hand.

for me I wont own a big boat with out hot foot and pro trim or some kind of trim switch on the wheel.
    a lot of our lakes here that we fish a lot can get nasty rough. last thing I want is one hand on the wheel trying to manipulate the throttle or trim controls on the lever
    had many a situation on Lake of the Ozarks in the past that it probably saved me having the controls close and quick on the throttle

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanhick View Post
    Love mine but it's all oxidized looks like crap.
    Send it to me for Cerakote and it will look great.

Look me me up on FB at LMCoatings.

15. Member
    Being fairly new to running fast boats, I like the hot foot because I can keep both hands on the wheel. I will surely get one on my boat (which will be soon I hope).

16. Member
    Don’t know what you have but both the G2 Etec and the Verado have options to switch between traditional and hot foot throttle. If you’re buying new, that is what I would be looking at.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    Don’t know what you have but both the G2 Etec and the Verado have options to switch between traditional and hot foot throttle. If you’re buying new, that is what I would be looking at.
    That drive by wire stuff is high tech for sure! I think the steering is by wire too in the G2. Seriously cuts down on the rigging challenges...

18. Member
    It certainly is high tech. Just finalized the purchase of a new boat with a G2 and will have both options readily available.

From what I’ve read, the Hot foot is great for wide open driving but the traditional throttle provides better control in slow conditions.

have had 5 bass boats and everyone has had a hot foot in them. weather I added them or they came with the boat. wont have a big boat without one.
    here we have lakes that are rough as do most and its way easier to control the boat with a Hot Foot and Pro trim.

20. Member
    For the record, a hot foot can get you into just as much trouble as a hand throttle. Someone pulls out in front of you. Immediate reaction is to stamp both feet down to brace, making the impact worse.. Not so good. Boat goes airborne and when it lands, it makes you slam your foot into the throttle. I've run both. I don't see any advantage one has over the other. Both have their pros, but also their cons as well. Lots of well-known boaters prefer hand throttles. Talk to Rick Pierce at BassCat boats for example. Blinker-style trim is certainly OK.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast