Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    For the record, a hot foot can get you into just as much trouble as a hand throttle. Someone pulls out in front of you. Immediate reaction is to stamp both feet down to brace, making the impact worse.. Not so good. Boat goes airborne and when it lands, it makes you slam your foot into the throttle. I've run both. I don't see any advantage one has over the other. Both have their pros, but also their cons as well. Lots of well-known boaters prefer hand throttles. Talk to Rick Pierce at BassCat boats for example. Blinker-style trim is certainly OK.
    Just wondering....do you “slamp both feet down”when something happens in your truck too?
    currently boatless

2. Member
    Maybe, but then I have a seat belt to hold me in position. If I use both feet, both would be on the brake. Not in a boat where you can slide from side to side and try to catch yourself with foot and hand pressure. Different animals. I see where you are trying to go with this, but there is no perfect answer. I've driven to triple digits with a hand control. I know several others that have. My previous boat came with throttle lever. I installed a hot foot a couple of years later and it was a significant learning curve to re-adjust reflexes. My current boat came with throttle lever and I've decided to leave it alone.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12