First time boat owner - Operating the trolling motor

First time boat owner. Initial experience with operating the trolling motor indicates I need practice. Wondering if there is any adjustment on the pedal to increase resistance. On my motor guide, the slightest touch sends the motor turning dramatically. Any general tips and techniques other than time and practice.

2. Member
    You just need some time. We were all there once.

3. Banned
    You need to add a Troll-Perfect, it allows you to adjust the tension of the pedal. One of the best additions I've made to my boat, simple but effective.
    http://www.trollperfect.com/

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Transom nailed it...it's an acquired skill for sure. Almost fell out of the boat a few times when I was learning. You'll get it...just keep practicing. Practicing is also good because that means more fishing too!
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

get a minn kota, there is a screw on the front underneath the pedal for adjustment
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    That screw is NOT to adjust foot pedal tension. It is there to adjust the cables so that there is no slop in the TM steering. If you crank that up much, you will be buying new steering cables for the TM.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Just time and practice. Start with lower power settings as it will be easier. Will be second nature in no time
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Yep. Luckily I learned at 18.

put your foot on the whole petal, and a lower setting, you can almost stand on the pedal, the weight from your foot / leg will stop it from bucking
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    get a troll perfect and it will take a little time to adjust it to your liking. Money well spent.
    Hans Deters

1996 ChampioN Fishunter 190
    1996 Mariner 225 EFI
    1996 Mariner 9.9

11. Member
    must agree you just need some more time on the front deck, turn down to a lower setting and don't "over steer" enjoy