Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

best crappie tin boat?

I figure most crappie fisherman are interested in a quality boat that will go shallow, handle fairly rough water, and have a good layout. I have been searching, but can't find one that meets all those standards. Deep v's and speed (big motors) are generally out because they won't go shallow. I have narrowed it down to three boats, but each of those have a minor drawback; Tracker 175 TF stinger, Ranger RT 188c, and Alumacraft 185 pro. One of the biggest problems is the size of the motor. When you go from a 60 hp Mercury to a 75 or larger in a boat under nineteen feet, it adds a minimum of 80 pounds to the back which sets the boat about 2 inches deeper in the water and raises the bow for the wind to catch. It seems the difference in motors between the under 60 hp or over 60 hp is critical for power to get on plane and ride through rough water. Anybody got that perfect crappie boat?

2. Member
    Ya. My RT188

3. Member
    Hey old goat, I think the ranger 188 has the most quality of the boats I listed. Great boat, looking at your picture, it looks like it sets a little deep in the water. What size motor to you have and do you know what your draft is, at rest. Thanks for reply.

4. Member
    old goat, sorry, I forgot to also ask. I have never ridden in one. How does it do in rough water?

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I fish crappie a lot of out my RT198P, I like the speed of the pad hull with the wave comfort as well. I fish the rivers and its a nice platform to fish as well.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I had a 2011 tracker 190 with the full crappie setup and fished 3-4 in side by side seating front and back. Terrova with ipilot pink, set the speed on the contour depth they were holding and loaded the cooler many times. Had zero problems with the boat and the 90 opti on it. That’s the only boat I regret selling.

All I fish for is Crappie and travel to 4-5 states a year fishing the Crappie Masters trail. I switched to a RT188 over a year ago and love it. I prefer the "bass" version over the C "crappie" version because of the extra storage and recessed trolling pedal. I do have the 3 across seating though for pushing/rigging with two guys up front. I can run 14' rods down each side and lay flat on the floor. When I run 16' trolllong rods I have a transport rack made for the port side that holds 8 of them so they are off the floor and don't hang over back of the boat. Previous boat was a Ranger 198VX with a Mercury 200. I can go so many more places now with no worries.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

8. Member
    I think that the big 2072s would make an outstanding crappie boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Hey old goat, I think the ranger 188 has the most quality of the boats I listed. Great boat, looking at your picture, it looks like it sets a little deep in the water. What size motor to you have and do you know what your draft is, at rest. Thanks for reply.
    It's a Merc 115 4s. Not sure of the draft but it's pretty shallow. Alot of the rough water ride depends alot on the driver but mine does pretty good for a tin. I also went with the bass version because of the none recess of the c version. One of the very best features of the 188 is the ability to lay rods on the front and back deck along side the driver console! Also have the 3 across seating upgrade.

10. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I’ll be taking my first crappie trip in my 188 Wednesday. Let you know after that. I have liked the boat for bass so far.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 10-31-2017 at 07:10 AM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    It's a Merc 115 4s. Not sure of the draft but it's pretty shallow. Alot of the rough water ride depends alot on the driver but mine does pretty good for a tin. I also went with the bass version because of the none recess of the c version. One of the very best features of the 188 is the ability to lay rods on the front and back deck along side the driver console! Also have the 3 across seating upgrade.
    Yours has to be pretty close to a twin to my rig.

I have had mine in some pretty rough water a few times and I was surprised at how well it did compared to my Ranger 198VX and the 4 Champion 18 1/2' boats I have had. Made a 8-9 mile run at lake Fork this spring in 18-20 mph winds during a Crappie tournament and never felt unsafe in it. Down there you can not pick your path for best running the waves as you have to follow the boat lanes. They are not a speed demon but will get you there and back safely and fish real well with the trolling motor down.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

12. Member
    I'm wishing Ranger would make a crappie version of the 198P. I would be all over that.
    "Now that's some high quality H2O"

13. Member
    I've owned the "C" version for 2 months. I Love the boat, but would definitely go with the Bass version if you carry much gear! Safe ride is subjective... it does everything I ask of it, but I'm not asking it to run 4' rollers.
    Good luck with your search!

14. Member
    Some great replies, thanks. You have convinced me that the 188 will likely be the boat I buy. Hope I can get a 188, but will consider the 178 as a fall back. My problem is whether it will fit in my garage. Does anyone know if the 188 can be purchased with a trailer that the swing tongue does not extend beyond the bow of the boat, like the 178 trailer setup. Ranger offers an upgraded aluminum trailer. Is that tongue setup the same as the typical non upgrade trailer that comes with the 188. Also did anyone order the front step for the trailer, as an old guy that might come in handy.

15. Member
    If Iwas buying a new tin crappie boat it would be a War Eagle or Xpress no question that's all I do is crappie fish but I do it out of a fiberglass bass boat.

Don’t discount the AlumaCraft. There crappie model is pretty awesome. As well as Polar Craft.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

17. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    The RT188 did pretty good I’d say. Took home 60 today and caught well over 100

2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

18. Member
    Hey Big Sack. I see you bred your RT with the BC and got a coin box

19. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    Hey Big Sack. I see you bred your RT with the BC and got a coin box
    Yep. Had to get some Bass Cat in it somehow. Weird thing is once it got a little Bass Cat in it, it just started running 10 MPH faster all of a sudden
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Yep. Had to get some Bass Cat in it somehow. Weird thing is once it got a little Bass Cat in it, it just started running 10 MPH faster all of a sudden
    That didn't work on mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast