Verado 250 Lower unit damage.... need info please

OK, so after a couple of decades of owning boats, it took less than a year with my first ever NEW boat to hit something large enough to cause serious damage. Obviously, the submerged log won the battle and damaged the outer shell of the LU knocking a hole in the nose cone.

I didn't see any LU fluid or anything, the boat never ran had, no vibrations, nothing to indicate damage occurred until i put it back on the trailer and saw this. i want to know if the LU part that was damaged was a shell and the inner parts that hold the gears and LU oil are sealed within this or not. After running back and putting it on the trailer, i didn't notice the LU was overly hot or anything. i'm just hoping someone on here can give me a better understanding of what sits behind this outer shell.

Anyone care to give me a LU 101 lesson on this motor?

2017 Verado Pro 250

Attached Images Attached Images

bummer, cant help you tho
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Banned
    Looks like that area is the low water pick-up. Do you have a water pressure gauge???... What's the water pressure while running???... If it were me I'd get a hold of my insurance agent to file a claim... Dan

4. Member
    insurance claim already filed. Did that this morning. I was just curious. didn't really notice the pressure. Didn't really run it much after the impact and honestly thought it just deflected as i've had done several times before. I'm taking it to the shop in the morning. I just know that it started, ran, and sounded like it always did although i probably never got over 35 mph.

5. Banned
    No marks on the skeg or prop... Must have been one heck of a impact, glad everyone's okay... Dan

6. Member
    Well, really wasn't that big of an impact or at least didn't think so. Motor never quit, i hadn't even gotten fully on plane yet so couldn't have been going fast at all. It was however upon further inspection a big tree. Sitting just under the surface in 30 FOW and about 16" in diameter there. Kind of looked about like a telephone pole.

7. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    That is painful to look at.

8. Member
    Alright, i have the DR's opinion from the dealer. The damage was restricted to the nose cone where the lower water pickup was. We assume after i hit the tree, that the impact pushed the tree down in the water and that is why the prop, etc.. wasn't damaged. They pulled the prop, checked the LU oil (no water). Prop shaft didn't seem to be bent. All things point to just the outer housing needing replaced. Actually said I could run it until insurance stuff is taken care of and the part is in. Only risk is potentially taking in leaves, etc.. in that hole which can be mitigated by taping it. Just need to keep an eye on the water pressure to make sure the standard pickups are in the water at all times.

With that said, it is still expensive. $2600+ estimate which includes the new housing ($1600) of that, labor, new impeller, LU oil, and an oil change as the oil is drained apparently when you take the LU off completely.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

The area visually damaged is the low water pickups. However, there is also a considerable dent in the gear/shaft chamber area as well.

If I were handling your repair- we would be checking the Propshaft Runout, DISASSEMBLING the gearcase, and inspecting all bearings, gears and components BEFORE repairs were estimated.

If the engine is under Factory Warranty or Product Protection Plan, that means that ALL repairs should be performed with only NEW OEM components, by an Authorized Mercury Dealer (who has technicians trained in the proper techniques, tools, and repair methods).

I would not recommend running this gearcase until repairs are completed, as there is a possibility of further damage to components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor