Trailer brake cap lost

I came back to the ramp today and noticed the cover was missing over the trailer break thingy. This is a 2017 Ranger Z21 trailer. Do these things just come off? Should I be suspicious of shenanigans at the ramp?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A lot of people report them stolen, but unless people are losing them, why would they be stealing. I figure they fall off.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Banned
    If they're not put on correctly, they will fall off easily. I've lost 2 of them. The last one has been gone for some time. I have black duct tape covering it.

4. Member
    Thanks guys.
    I'm guessing this is the replacement I need. For a buck-seventy I don't mind if it's the wrong one and I have to start over.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/coll...diameter-32547

5. Member
    You might as well order a few spares.

They also make a lockout cap if you ever have issues backing up. I’ve never needed to lockout mine, but I know several have issues.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTXRG View Post
    You might as well order a few spares.

They also make a lockout cap if you ever have issues backing up. I’ve never needed to lockout mine, but I know several have issues.
    Yeah my next question was how to fit that little key in there. There's just no room.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    Yeah my next question was how to fit that little key in there. There's just no room.

It doesn’t look like the hitch is pulled all the way forward. I bet it will fit once you do.

8. Member
    Call Ranger. I went to order a replacement cap and they shipped me one for free.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post

You probably need to pull forward, but when you insert, you want to angle the front side in behind the snap ring and then slide the key forward as you put it in place.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    You can use the plastic cap and also purchase this if having reverse locking up in a pinch. Trailer reverse lockout magnet or vise grip C clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    A lot of the covers are "unlocked" by folks stepping on the tongue doing something with the boat, then pivoting and facing the pickup. The cap will be unlocked and simply blow away as you travel down the road. Sometimes too, the armor coating is thick enough to impair a good fit. A little light sanding should solve that and it will Lock in place easier.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DABS View Post
    A lot of the covers are "unlocked" by folks stepping on the tongue doing something with the boat, then pivoting and facing the pickup. The cap will be unlocked and simply blow away as you travel down the road. Sometimes too, the armor coating is thick enough to impair a good fit. A little light sanding should solve that and it will Lock in place easier.

This is a great post. This makes complete sense. We back the trailer in the water and we crawl and dance around the tailgate and trailer to do our thing.

13. Member
    After losing a couple at $14 apiece, I made a keeper cable with some light cable and crimp on electrical fittings with an eye. Small hole in the brake cover and trailer tongue for screws and problem solved.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    After losing a couple at $14 apiece, I made a keeper cable with some light cable and crimp on electrical fittings with an eye. Small hole in the brake cover and trailer tongue for screws and problem solved.
    Dang 14 bucks!? I just paid $1.70. Did yours say "Ranger" on it or something?

15. Member
    I bet he is talking about the metal lockouts. They are the #1 most stolen parts at boat ramps..lol

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    If they're not put on correctly, they will fall off easily. I've lost 2 of them. The last one has been gone for some time. I have black duct tape covering it.
    A true "RedNeck" repair job !! LOL
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Mine is so tight after I had the trailer coated it has not (gotten lost).
    Need a pair of channel locks to get it off.

18. Member
    This works well. I've never lost a cap since doing this.