Fuel Stabilizing Question

Mercury 150 Optimax Pro XS (1B917541)

In the past, I have always had the fuel stabilized at the time of winterization and assumed they ran the motor long enough on the muffs to circulate it through the system. Given Don's advice in the frequently asked questions about how long it actually needs to run at idle, I wonder if this is really the case.

I do add Don's cocktail at every fill up through the season, and am considering trying the following to stabilize the fuel for winter. I would add the proper amount of Quickstor (8 oz for a 40 gallon tank) and then fill up the tank with gas before my last 2 or 3 fishing trips of the year. While running the boat like I normally do, the stabilized fuel will be circulated throughout the system during those last 2 or 3 trips. Then, after my last trip of the season, I would fill up the tank, adding the amount of Quickstor needed only for the additional fuel being added since the fuel left in the tank has already been stabilized. For example, if I need to add 15 gallons to fill up the tank, I would only add 3 additional ounces of Quickstor.

To me this seems like a better way to ensure the stabilizer is circulated, but maybe it's not. Does this sound like a good idea, or is there some reason that it is better to wait until winterization and stabilize the entire tank all at that time?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Member
    That would be my suggestion too. I always add Quickstor with every fill up but I don't get to use my boat as often as many others. Don has said you can use Quickstor in place of Quickkare for the cocktail, that's what I do.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    I do the same as Leon and for the same reason, we don't have the opportunity to use our boat as often as we'd like. Running the cocktail year round, including PP at 150:1 for the injectors, is the best practice. When you know you're close to the last trip or two, switch from Quickcare to Quickstor and never look back.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice.