Jigs versus Lizards/Worms in Forty Degree Water

Friends,
    In a month or so the water temps here in north Texas will be down in the forties. For you cold water fishermen and ladies, do you continue to throw soft plastics during low forties water temps or do you transition more to jigs? Thanks

2. Member
    Jerkbaits, swimbaits, traps, and chatterbaits are my go-to when the water cools down. If your fish head to deep water you may be able to catch them on a Vibe too like we do in Ohio

3. Banned
    Oh gosh jigs no doubt up here! I also keep a stash of Uncle Josh pork. But that's probably just me

4. Member
    I throw jigs year round but when it gets cold I throw more jigs and less and less plastic. I like to break out the uncle josh when it is colder too if I am going to keep that jig wet all day.

5. Member
    I definitely transition to jigs more during the colder months. If I use a soft plastic bait it's either a Sweet Beaver or a DB Craw; I want limited action and movement in my baits.

6. Member
    i fished 47 degree water all day - jig n pig was by far superior to anything else.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

7. Member
    If we're strictly talking jigs vs. plastics, I will throw jigs every time at that water temp. However, my first choice would definitely be a jerkbait or silver buddy

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaRiverRat View Post
    If we're strictly talking jigs vs. plastics, I will throw jigs every time at that water temp. However, my first choice would definitely be a jerkbait or silver buddy
    Yep, my 1st choice also

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I throw jigs year round but when it gets cold I throw more jigs and less and less plastic. I like to break out the uncle josh when it is colder too if I am going to keep that jig wet all day.
    +1

April 3, 2017, 47 degree water, 5" Zoom GP lizard/shakyhead > 5 lb Smallmouth.