Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What company for building new aluminum trailer?

My current painted trailer that came on the boat new has reached retirement age (21 years old). Looking to have a new aluminum trailer built. I have been looking for companies around my area and even out of my area (Houston) and am having trouble finding one that I'm happy with. I have already crossed off Ameratrail, McClain and a few other local backyard builders. Looking for single axle, no brakes, maybe some black anodized rails and a few more smaller options like spare tire, stainless fenders, welded bunks, tie downs, side steps and LED's too. Not looking for a $5k price tag to get all that...up to $4k is doable however. Would really appreciate some suggestions. Only 2 I am halfway considering at this point are Coastline and Tex-all but still not completely feeling those either. Any recommendations...?
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

2. Member
    That seems like quite a large boat for no trailer brakes. If you have brakes it is much easier on your truck brakes and tends to keep the boat behind you if you have to stop quickly on a wet road.

A 20’ Bullet doesn’t weigh the same as most 20’ bass boats. Yes brakes would be better but not a necessity on a 20’ Bullet.

Several of the Stroker guys have gone with the Strongback...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Check out Sporttrail. They are in Bay St Louis Mississippi. Gorgeous work.

Although I'm not sure why you'd cross Ameratrail off your list. I've had two of them and loved them and have never heard a bad word about them.

Regardless of which direction you go, a torsion axle is a must. I would never have a trailer built without one.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

I don't know if these guys are in the class of trailer you seek but may be worth a look. They have been making aluminum trailers for Express for over 25 years. http://web.natm.com/Trailer-Manufact...ilers,-Inc-647

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    I have a McClain, it has been a great trailer

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    A 20’ Bullet doesn’t weigh the same as most 20’ bass boats. Yes brakes would be better but not a necessity on a 20’ Bullet.

Several of the Stroker guys have gone with the Strongback...
    ^on the money^ Completely rigged to fish with everything in it including a 509 lb outboard...its about 1800-1900 lbs. Would like to have brakes but my current brake system has required more of my time than anything else on it. Wouldn't mind not ever dealing with that again.

Adding Strongback to the list...thanks Crank!
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Check out Sporttrail. They are in Bay St Louis Mississippi. Gorgeous work.

Although I'm not sure why you'd cross Ameratrail off your list. I've had two of them and loved them and have never heard a bad word about them.

Regardless of which direction you go, a torsion axle is a must. I would never have a trailer built without one.
    Adding Sporttrail to the list...thanks Marshfly!

I was very sad to cross Ameratrail off the list...I had already made my mind up when I started that I was going there. Still one of the best trailers on the market in my opinion (especially for the Bullet). But couldn't get anybody on the phone...got excuses about salesman on vacation...never got a call back...and then was promised to email info and got no email...couldn't give them money if I tried my hardest. I'm a one strike kinda guy...thats like 4 strikes in a row. Had to walk...it's a shame for sure!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkerLloyd View Post
    I have a McClain, it has been a great trailer
    Similar experience with McClain but held firm on my one strike policy with them. I don't think they like money either...?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I don't know if these guys are in the class of trailer you seek but may be worth a look. They have been making aluminum trailers for Express for over 25 years. http://web.natm.com/Trailer-Manufact...ilers,-Inc-647
    Back Track Trailers added to the list...thank you Bill!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 20cc View Post
    Adding Sporttrail to the list...thanks Marshfly!

I was very sad to cross Ameratrail off the list...I had already made my mind up when I started that I was going there. Still one of the best trailers on the market in my opinion (especially for the Bullet). But couldn't get anybody on the phone...got excuses about salesman on vacation...never got a call back...and then was promised to email info and got no email...couldn't give them money if I tried my hardest. I'm a one strike kinda guy...thats like 4 strikes in a row. Had to walk...it's a shame for sure!

Understand, but, just FYI, like Ameratrail, Sporttrail does not generally sell to the public and prefers that you purchase their trailer through a dealer. They just aren't set up for retail sales. However, I have purchased parts from Ameratrail recently (like a month ago) and the exchange was very easy.

If you think they are bad, try calling Ramlin, who in my opinion makes by far the best skiff trailers available anywhere. What a nightmare, but like most of them, they don't want to deal with individuals.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

12. Member
    I have read of several people that are elated with Ameratrail customer service so I was completely dumbfounded to say the least. I still want one to this day! But my only chance of that is if I gave my money to somebody who actually knows them personally and let them buy it for me...otherwise I can only imagine the problems trying to get them to follow through if I had an issue when I can't even get them to follow through while trying to give them $4k... I had an Ameratrail under a Gambler I previously had and it was great...bought it new with the boat from a dealer though. But had no interaction with Ameratrail personally...

I guess I don't matter cuz I'm not a dealer? Strange business model considering my money is the same color and they are probably making more of it dealing directly with me without the middle man's cut... I have never begged anyone to take my money. Well there was this really hot girl one time when I was younger...
    Last edited by Bullet 20cc; 10-29-2017 at 02:36 PM.

13. Member
    Try John Bonis #407-496-8839 at Ameritrail..

14. Member
    I liked John...seemed like a pretty good dude! He has been by far the most helpful to me of anybody that works there (not going to name anybody else). He actually talked to me on the phone, answered my questions and even sent me an email with some info that I asked for. Unfortunately he came into the picture at the very end of my experience after I had already established my 1st, 2nd and 3rd impressions. I had pretty much sadly crossed them off already by the time I had gotten to speak to John. I would need a serious discount to look their way again...and I wouldn't even entertain that. Just looking elsewhere now...

Ameratrail was my very first pick without even thinking of looking elsewhere (super sweet trailers)...still sad/mad/upset about it. But all I can do about it is look for plan B.

15. Member
    Rather not discuss Ameratrail any longer but would love to hear any other recommendations from you guys...got some good feedback already!

Coastline Trailer Mfg out of SeaDrift, TX

http://www.coastlinetrailermfg.net/site/

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywooddave View Post
    Coastline Trailer Mfg out of SeaDrift, TX

http://www.coastlinetrailermfg.net/site/
    Thanks Hollywood...they are actually #1 on my list right now from before I started this thread! I have read that website backwards and forwards and have been looking at them alot too...especially the black anodized! Called and spoke to them on Thursday and they actually made me feel like a real customer. They got a waiting list of customers right now. That long drive with the boat will be the only negative but at this point...I do not care about that anymore. Anything else you can tell me about them from your experience? I'm all ears...!

18. Banned
    Don't know how far you are from Arkansas.? but check out EZ Trac. They have a website.

19. Member
    Thank you Rocket! List is getting good!

20. Member

USA

Did you check on the brake regulations in your state? Some states say you must have brakes depending on the size of trailer or boat ( weight and/or length ).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast