Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Talked/visited (walked through the whole shop/building area) with Deuane Lewis of Mc Clain Trailers in Houston and liked what I seen. Ordered my trailer 3 days ago. My Dridoc trailer of 17 years is on its last month. It comes with torsion vault hubs and brakes, swing tongue, tear drop & braced fenders, welded bunk mounts, stainless fasteners, steps before and after fenders. Will be using my 14" Champion rims and tires.
    David Disler / Porter TX

2. Member
    Well here she is all done and fitted perfectly. I changed my mind about a million times on final options and finally decided to go with the tandem galvanized tortion axles, no brakes, black anodized 5.5" rails, black wheels, aluminum fenders, welded bunks, spare tire and mount, all stainless hardware, all LED's and went with guide poles instead of fixed guides. Price was better than anywhere else I could find at $3510 out the door. They even made me a set of custom aluminum mounts bolted to the ends of the I-beams to attach my transom straps at no extra cost...also gave me 3 t-shirts, one in orange to match the boat.

Trailer pulled smoothly and comfortably all the way back home (4 hour drive). I can definitely tell the difference between the tortion axles and leaf springs. Bobby the shop foreman was very cool to work with...called me during the build a few times to make sure he got it how I wanted it. His son does all the tig welding and he is very talented...all the welds are nicely done and very pleasing to the eye. My only complaint on the trailer is that in a couple of places where there are holes drilled right next to each other they are not perfectly in line, just very close. But that's being very picky. All in all it was an amazing deal for that price on a trailer that will outlast the boat...good people too.

Only thing I gotta do is cut down the guide poles to the height I want them and paint or pad them in black and she's ready for the show. Very happy with it...
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

Looks very nice. But, I think they stole your lower unit!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Looks very nice. But, I think they stole your lower unit!
    Lol...thanks. The lower is currently sitting on my workbench in many different pieces since it decided to check out on me. I don't think it liked to go as fast I do. But I will get one that does though...
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

5. Member
    When my trailers don't have cover for the guide poles I pull them off and cut them as shot as they will go and still cover the entire metal upright. Great looking trailer.

BTW Ameratrail keeps those guide pole covers in stock. You could use some fabric paint to cover the Ameratrail logo. I have them on my trailer and they add a nice finishing touch.

http://www.ameratrail.com/cgi-bin/co...tion&key=10101
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    When my trailers don't have cover for the guide poles I pull them off and cut them as shot as they will go and still cover the entire metal upright. Great looking trailer.

BTW Ameratrail keeps those guide pole covers in stock. You could use some fabric paint to cover the Ameratrail logo. I have them on my trailer and they add a nice finishing touch.

http://www.ameratrail.com/cgi-bin/co...tion&key=10101
    Thanks for the info Marshfly...gonna look into that but with a different company however. Wouldn't dream of giving Ameratrail a penny after my experience with them. This trailer was supposed to be built by them but had to find another builder after experiencing their version of customer service...it was terrible. That's ok though...I found a trailer builder that values their customers...so I gave them my pile of cash instead. The free market system is a beautiful thing!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 20cc View Post
    Thanks for the info Marshfly...gonna look into that but with a different company however. Wouldn't dream of giving Ameratrail a penny after my experience with them. This trailer was supposed to be built by them but had to find another builder after experiencing their version of customer service...it was terrible. That's ok though...I found a trailer builder that values their customers...so I gave them my pile of cash instead. The free market system is a beautiful thing!
    As I said before, my experience has been exactly the opposite when transacting with them for parts. Fast to return calls and extremely responsive. They are not in the business of selling trailers direct to the consumer however. Neither is Ford or Sony or a lot of other manufacturers. But good luck finding the covers.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    As I said before, my experience has been exactly the opposite when transacting with them for parts. Fast to return calls and extremely responsive. They are not in the business of selling trailers direct to the consumer however. Neither is Ford or Sony or a lot of other manufacturers. But good luck finding the covers.
    I don't have any problem with you continuing to deal with them...good luck! And having my poles uncovered will not keep me from sleeping at night...but bad customer service does. I don't put any stock into what anyone else says about them cuz I have my own personal experience with them to reflect on. And that personal experience says run...and I did! Ran to another trailer builder and got bigger I-beams and more options for less money...and even got what I define as customer service instead of Ameratrail's version. As I said before...the free market system is a beautiful thing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123