Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

7mm-08 cartridge recommendation

Bought a Ruger American for $259 at the Gander Mountain close out sale. What brand and weight of bullets do you guys recommend? The only cartridge Academy Sports was Remington core-lokt.

i bought this gun for my daughter to use at some time. She will be 25 in January and used an old 742 Remington in 30-.06 last year, but it is really too heavy for her.

Thanks in advance.

I use 139gr Hornady either Intelock or Interbond. They work great! If you can find them, the Barnes 120gr TSX or TTSX is a great killer of everything without much recoil. The Remington Corelokts will work just fine too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    140gr is the optimum weight for deer. Core lokts and power points will work great in that rifle.

4. Member
    Corelokts will do fine, been using them for 24 years in my Model 700. Half dropped in their tracks, the rest went about 100 yds at the most. I haven't always gotten pass through chest/shoulder shots on larger deer. That could mean a thin trail if you get a little too far forward but honestly, if it's dense enough to stop that round you've probably taken out enough vitals to put it down. I'm trying Hornady American Whitetails this season. Just need to find a big buck to be my test subject.

BTW Corelokt 120 gr hollow points are sweet medicine for coyotes.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Corelokts will do fine, been using them for 24 years in my Model 700. Half dropped in their tracks, the rest went about 100 yds at the most. I haven't always gotten pass through chest/shoulder shots on larger deer. That could mean a thin trail if you get a little too far forward but honestly, if it's dense enough to stop that round you've probably taken out enough vitals to put it down. I'm trying Hornady American Whitetails this season. Just need to find a big buck to be my test subject.

BTW Corelokt 120 gr hollow points are sweet medicine for coyotes.
    I have 50 acres of native grasses on one side of my farm. My daughter used to shoot a .243, but I switched to the .30-06 to help with the tracking since to cover is hard to walk thru and about 5' tall. Everyone tells me the 7mm-08 is a good round so thought we would try it.

Thanks for all the input.

When dad reloads for me I use Nosler partitions. Pretty devistating to deer and coyotes. I'm thinking that is a .284 diameter same as 7mm rem mag and I know they make that in 150 gr, that's what I shoot.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

7. Member
    Indeed the 7-08 uses the same bullets that the rem mag does. IMO 150gr is best in the magnum and 140gr is best in the 7MM express and 7-08. Partitions although would work just as well are simply not needed in the 7-08.

I shot a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm-08 for years and put down piles of deer. I used 140 gr Core-Lokt.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    I have 50 acres of native grasses on one side of my farm. My daughter used to shoot a .243, but I switched to the .30-06 to help with the tracking since to cover is hard to walk thru and about 5' tall. Everyone tells me the 7mm-08 is a good round so thought we would try it.

Thanks for all the input.
    Didn't you post pics of the skull and rack of one that you and she couldn't locate but found while burning in the spring?

10. Member
    Yes, That one is why she started shooting the .30-06. I have never seen her miss and we couldn't find him.

You have a good memory...
    Last edited by Ky-triton; 10-29-2017 at 11:04 PM.

federal power points is what im using

12. Member
    If it’s for your daughter it could be worth looking into some reduced recoil loads. My wife shoots the Hornady reduced recoil in her 7mm-08, which is a pretty light weight rifle. It’s a standard-ish velocity round, but with a 120gr bullet. It kicks noticeably less than the 140-150grain bullets I’ve put through it. 120gr is standard bullet weight for a 25-06, and only a tiny bit less than the standard 130gr 270, it is more than plenty for any whitetail.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    If it’s for your daughter it could be worth looking into some reduced recoil loads. My wife shoots the Hornady reduced recoil in her 7mm-08, which is a pretty light weight rifle. It’s a standard-ish velocity round, but with a 120gr bullet. It kicks noticeably less than the 140-150grain bullets I’ve put through it. 120gr is standard bullet weight for a 25-06, and only a tiny bit less than the standard 130gr 270, it is more than plenty for any whitetail.
    Thanks, I will take a look at those. I have a Thompson ProHunter in .25-06 that I shoot at times. My daughter has shot it and doesn't seem to have an issue with the recoil.

14. Member
    Ive killed lots of deer with 7.08 140 gr corelocts.

Core-Lokts, both in .30/30 and .270, have always done the job for me as well as for my dad in .30-06. That would be my choice unless the shot poorly from my rifle. For the vast majority of whitetail hunting, I don't think a premium bullet is needed.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    berudd is absolutely correct. There might be a time and a place for the premium bullets, but I've been shooting Core-lokts for well over 40 years in different calibers and I have no complaints. So, as he said, if they will shoot good in your rifle...they will knock'em down.

i smacked one last year with a 140 grain Remington round and it drop in its tracks. Great round.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

18. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    My favorite round was federal with Barnes triple shocks in 140 g. They don’t make them or I can’t find them anymore, but that was an accurate bullet. I shoot hornady now. Those Barnes bullets took a cow moose at 145 yds and every deer and coyote I ever shot at. Great round if you can find it.

19. Member
    Federal premium ballistic tips were the best grouping round in my american.shoot what groups best and dont be cheap, buy and try several different bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    My favorite round was federal with Barnes triple shocks in 140 g. They don’t make them or I can’t find them anymore, but that was an accurate bullet. I shoot hornady now. Those Barnes bullets took a cow moose at 145 yds and every deer and coyote I ever shot at. Great round if you can find it.
    http://store.goammo.com/federal-prem...ound-box-p708c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast