BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner ???

1). Has anyone used the BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner in your outboard engine? If so, how was it? It's supposed to be great for cleaning car's fuel injector.

2). Has anyone used Yamaha Ring Free and Mercury Quickleen at the same time? I heard Qucikleen is better for the injector and the Ring Free is good with carbon control (in general) and that they can be used together.

Thanks.

2. Member
    I use the BB 44K cleaner in my cars, never thought about using it in a 2 stroke boat engine though?

3. Banned
    I currently have ring free, Yamaha fuel conditioner, quickkleen and merc fuel conditioner in my fuel tank. My merc might explode with this concoction.

ive thought about the 44k but have never had the balls to try it.

4. Member
    I have Yamaha 150HP 4 stroke. And I don't have the gut to try it yet either. LOL
    The 44K has been getting #1 rating for cars in most reviews I've seen. That's why I asked.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I currently have ring free, Yamaha fuel conditioner, quickkleen and merc fuel conditioner in my fuel tank. My merc might explode with this concoction.

Damn son! Bet ya pull the spark plugs and it'd still ignite!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    Damn son! Bet ya pull the spark plugs and it'd still ignite!

Lol, just decided to change over to the Yamaha products because they are easier for me to get. Not trying to be a mad scientist on purpose.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post

You might add a little gas to your fuel conditioners.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    You might add a little gas to your fuel conditioners.

What, you mean I can’t run them without gasoline in the tank too?

9. Banned
    Ask Don over on the Mercury page... He might know if it's okay... Or better yet shoot BG an email and ask if it okay for marine use... Dan

10. Loser
    I'm currently running it in my Merc 125. So far so good. I asked the BG guy and he said its ok for 2 strokes. Im curious what Don will say.
    "There is nothing more free, than one who has nothing to lose"

11. Banned
    I value Dons opinion and I respect him; but...... he will only tell you to use Mercury products. Sometimes there are better options.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwill29 View Post
    I'm currently running it in my Merc 125. So far so good. I asked the BG guy and he said its ok for 2 strokes. I'm curious what Don will say.
    Any mention of 4 stroke? And are you going to run with it regularly or is this a one-time injector cleaning effort? thx.

13. Loser
    No idea on 4 stroke. I've never "regularly" ran any additive as my boat see's a lot of use. At least once a year I run something. I've used Winns Powercharge, Seafom, and I decided to try 44K. I can get 44K for free so I decided to try it. BTW my 125 is carb not fuel injection.

14. Member
    Let me talk to a friend of mine, he is a sales rep for BG. I'm sure he will give me an honest answer.... Just joking he is a salesman though. But I'm pretty sure he would be honest with me (31 years of friendship).
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

15. Member
    Ok, my BG rep friend says no issues using it in outboards as long as the fuel isn't sitting for an extended period of time. If it sitting for awhile they have CF5 which is a stabilizer.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joby1 View Post
    Ok, my BG rep friend says no issues using it in outboards as long as the fuel isn't sitting for an extended period of time. If it sitting for awhile they have CF5 which is a stabilizer.
    Great!!! Thank you very much for the info. It's very helpful. Since mwill29's engine is not blown up yet I think I'll raise the courage up and try it on my 4 stroke soon.

17. Loser
    Figured I would give an update to this. I finished out the season and the tank of fuel with 44K. I really feel that my Mercury 125 carb engine started much easier and I feel the idle was a little smoother. It sat for 2 or 3 weeks at one point, and it still started easier at launch.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwill29 View Post
    Figured I would give an update to this. I finished out the season and the tank of fuel with 44K. I really feel that my Mercury 125 carb engine started much easier and I feel the idle was a little smoother. It sat for 2 or 3 weeks at one point, and it still started easier at launch.
    Thanks for the update. I too did try the 44K for 20 gallons. It seems to also improve my 4 stroke Yamaha (smoother idle, a little more responsive). No issues so far.