Oil Resevoir Cap Leaking

I have a 2015 250 ProXS and the cap on my oil reservoir won't stay tight. I noticed a little oil dripping from my motor, lifted the cowling, and saw the little notice "reservoir will leak if cap is not tight" and I tightened it. Took it out today and when I pulled it out of the lake it was loose again. Oil dripping from it.
    Is the housing possibly cracked? How can I get it to stay tight?
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    They are soft plastic. They strip easily. No choice but to replace the tank. Will run you around 200 bucks.

Warranty replacement
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

I never touched the thing prior to it coming loose the first time. Then just snugged it up. And the last time anyone did anything to the motor was a service bulletin in the spring. Not a drop all summer.
    How did it spontaneously strip out? Is there that much pressure?
    My Merc mechanic said to try snugging it up and running it, see if it does it again. I hate the idea of oil all over my engine compartment. Should I just hook a hose to my motor and try it in my driveway?

(I bought 8 years of warranty so I suspect this would be covered)

Until you get it in to be replaced, hopefully under warranty, try wrapping Teflon tape around the threads. Keep it out of the tank though.
    I got nothin

6. Member
    Just get it replaced under warranty and be done with it. Once they start loosening up they don't stop. The new tanks/caps have better threads.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Teflon tape is not a good solution. If a piece of tape gets into a hose, or fitting, bad things can happen...

8. Member
    Replace the o-ring with a thinner o-ring the size is 0.623x0.0675 but I can double check if you want. Cap will seat deeper and tighten, simple fix that mercury should have done. This won't work if tank is cracked.
    2014 Z9 250 PRO XS serial# 2B092127

9. Member
    Engine should still be under OEM 3yr warranty and he has additional 5yrs of product protection.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Just run it by the dealer, it is going to be a warranty item,,just got mine replaced today for the exact same reason

Decision:
    I'm going to bring it to the dealer. I don't need to be worrying about losing oil while running around on some lake this fall.
    Thanks.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    I never touched the thing prior to it coming loose the first time. Then just snugged it up. And the last time anyone did anything to the motor was a service bulletin in the spring. Not a drop all summer.
    How did it spontaneously strip out? Is there that much pressure?
    My Merc mechanic said to try snugging it up and running it, see if it does it again. I hate the idea of oil all over my engine compartment. Should I just hook a hose to my motor and try it in my driveway?

(I bought 8 years of warranty so I suspect this would be covered)
    That would be THREE (3) Years of Factory Warranty, PLUS 5 years of "Some Level" Product Protection.

Please see the Announcements at the top of the forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

In your case, it is likely that the only APPROPRIATE repair method is to replace the oil tank.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Sorry. Engine S/N: 2B114267

Brought it to the dealer. One look and they ordered a new oil tank. Under warranty. Should be in today! Installed tomorrow and ready for the weekend!
    One more question. Shouldn't the dealer clean the oil off of the engine under the warranty service claim?

14. Member
    They should, but its not hard to do it yourself.

15. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    Sorry. Engine S/N: 2B114267

Brought it to the dealer. One look and they ordered a new oil tank. Under warranty. Should be in today! Installed tomorrow and ready for the weekend!
    One more question. Shouldn't the dealer clean the oil off of the engine under the warranty service claim?
    Make sure the proper oil prime sequence is performed to remove any air from lines/system.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dealer should certainly clean up the oil, AND perform an oil pump prime.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Can’t find that size o ring any help appreciated

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
    PLEASE READ Before Posting
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
    Please open your own separate post for your engine, and provide the required info. Thanks!