Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

First part of April at Lanier?

The wife and I are planning a trip to Lanier, probably sometime during the first two weeks of April. Is that a good time to fish down there? I'd think it might be. My wife's daughter and husband live in Atlanta. That will allow them to come up to spend a day or two with us, rather than me having to drive into Atlanta, plus I can do some fishing.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

2. Member
    It's a great time to fish down here, with most of the big ones shallow, and many of the big largemouths back in the creeks. Great time for jerk baits and spinnerbaits.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't forget to toss a #5 Shad rap Bill.

4. Member
    When the time is close, shoot me a PM, and I can go over Lanier with you, maybe in person if you are here. I can cover both largemouth and spotted bass patterns. The question is do you want numbers, or some kickers?

5. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    In April you will have bedding fish no doubt should be spots and largemouth depends on weather. Fun vs tourney fishing I do different.

Fun fishing jerk bait, spinnerbait, fluke and jig will catch fish until your tired. Fish can be caught on virtually anything, these are my fun baits and can catch lots of fish.

Tournament fishing I will have four rods lying on deck a jig and 3 identical rod & bait set ups which I can not disclose at this time, sorry. These are for chasing the big girls but huge numbers can be had as well.

A jerk bait on a spawning flat, shallow reef poles, anything with shallow bedding areas can be a blast.

Good luck and you will have fun!
    Last edited by fishnfool38; 11-04-2017 at 06:24 AM.

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I will be coming down that first week of April, or at least the latter part of it. Rented a house down there for 5 nights. Looking forward to fishing Lanier. Is it a lake that's easy to run on, or do you have to watch to stay in channels, etc?
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

7. Member
    Bill it's very easy to run. Very deep and clear
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

There are some shallow humps but they are all well marked. There are a lot of little islands too. The narrow opening between them may be shallow or may be deep. Those will not be marked.

If it is open water, it will be deep!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    I fished Lanier a ton back decades ago. That was actually when the Corp used to keep it FULL. ;-)

Overall, Lanier is deep but being as it's so low these days there are plenty of places to watch for. Updated Navionics will help there though.

It's also BIG.

I'm currently on a fishing sabbatical. Had cervical surgery not quite 4 weeks ago.

Which means I won't be there till at least February. :-(

I'd really like to get up to Lanier in April myself for a few days. Wife and I both have B-days then, so thinking about a getaway. ;-)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

10. Banned
    Only about 5.5 ft low right now. Wish it was lower. I like the level down in the winter

11. Member
    As mentioned above, getting a Navionics map of some sort will certainly help. At the very least get the Navionics Mobile App to get some good maps to put you in the right direction. Backs of creeks are good that time of year for Largemouth.....but spots can always be found on main lake structure.

Attached Images Attached Images

12. Banned
    The navionics is not that accurate. No compared to lakemaster or garmin maps