Re-powering with 4-stroke

I am in the process of re-powering my 97 Ranger 18 ft with a new 150 4 stroke. It had a 97 efi 150 which had blown. My question is will the 4 stroke have a water temp. sending unit? My Ranger does not have a temp. gauge. I'm thinking a temp. gauge can be installed?

I’m sure Don will give you better details but I’m pretty sure you can get temp when using a smartcraft gauge. Not sure about a stand alone gauge if that’s what your wanting. But, with a new motor I’d definitely include the smartcraft gauge.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Smartcraft would be the way to go hands down.

4. Member
    Love the Smartcraft Tach on mine. Shows engine Temp, oil pressure, hours, GPH and fuel usage at a given RPM, volts, has troll control down to about 550 RPM's if I remember right and probably more I'm forgetting... It only shows one at a time, so I leave it on the temp readout. Will also show engine faults to a certain extent too.
    Last edited by rickdb1; 10-30-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added more info

Rick

5. Member
    As a side note, I did put an analog water pressure gauge in afterward..

Rick

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Smartcraft Instrument, such as a MercMonitor is the way to go. Contact Rhonda (in our Parts Department) and she will be happy to provide you with a list of Options and special BBC member pricing for all available Smartcraft Systems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor