Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    good info Mike
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    When measuring board height ---Be sure to allow for some board settling/shrinkage and carpet matting when going back with new carpet and (hand picked) boards. I like to put something between the bottom of the upright board and the trailer frame to support the 2 by 6-- if you don't the bolt hole in the wood will egg shape over time and allow the board to drop .. If you don't after a few trips you might be right back on the rollers.
    After all the talk of blisters I have left the bottom of the boards uncovered to facilitate faster drying. Another thing is to trim the carpet so it does not come in contact with the bunk support. -- this keeps the bracket from rusting as fast.
    I used 2 x8's this time and notched them out the appropriate amount so the boat would sit on the trailer at the right angle and height above the guide bunks. By using the 2 x8's, they touch the cross members of the trailer so nothing else is needed to fill the "void". I agree 100% with the "trimming" of the carpet in the areas Mike has mentioned.

3. Member
    Bob, when you replaced your uprights did you double up on the carpet that the hull sits on?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Bob, when you replaced your uprights did you double up on the carpet that the hull sits on?
    Hey Craig, yes I did.................did them just like the original bunks with respect to the doubling up of the carpet.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    That is the correct way to set up your trailer. No load on anything but the outer bunks. You should be able to see clearance between the guide boards and hull.
    I just went to the garage and looked at my 2011 trailer. The boat is definitely sitting down on the guide boards pretty much all of the way. The roller near the front of the guide boards (not the bow roller) has some of the boat weight on it. The two rollers toward the rear of the trailer have 1/8" to 1/4" clearance.

So, if there should be clearance between the guide boards and the hull then I'm assuming the outside bunk boards (that are vertical) need to come up some.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

If you are looking at Gatorbak for your Allison trailer you may be interested to know that we now stock and carry a full length cover for 2x4 on edge. The GB150L. there are also matching molded end caps. If you have any questions please let me know I would be glad to help you anyway we can.

Jonathan- Gatorbak

Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    getting them to slide off the trailer was more of an issue.

So, basically, it's just time to redo them & I was looking up options.
    A trick I learned years ago is to rub the carpet top with a bar of soap. Makes a world of difference sliding on and off and you don’t need to do it every trip.
    ALLISON XB2003 - 225 PRO MAX

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    I used 2 x8's this time and notched them out the appropriate amount so the boat would sit on the trailer at the right angle and height above the guide bunks. By using the 2 x8's, they touch the cross members of the trailer so nothing else is needed to fill the "void.
    Bob, did you cut the boards down some and a put an angle in your cut or shim the boards up from the trailer at the rear to get things to set right?
    ALLISON XB2003 - 225 PRO MAX

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvanmeter View Post
    If you are looking at Gatorbak for your Allison trailer you may be interested to know that we now stock and carry a full length cover for 2x4 on edge. The GB150L. there are also matching molded end caps. If you have any questions please let me know I would be glad to help you anyway we can.

Jonathan- Gatorbak
    what is your response to the comments about gatorbaks scratching the gel?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allimax View Post
    A trick I learned years ago is to rub the carpet top with a bar of soap. Makes a world of difference sliding on and off and you don’t need to do it every trip.
    I've heard that works. I did end up using clear silicone spray on my bunks on the saltwater boat, it made a difference.

I didn't like the gatorbaks...Wouldn't do it again.

Ally, Gatorbak Material is softer than gel coat. In some cases debris has gotten in between the bunk cover and the hull and that material has left some scratches. The best way to prevent that is to keep the bunk covers clean. The covers are easy to clean and only takes a few minutes to do. by comparison to hard plastic bunk cover or Carpet that can catch and hold debris along with water that can cause Gel Coat blistering our material is a stark improvement. If you would Like a sample, Please let me know, I would be happy to send you one.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I just went to the garage and looked at my 2011 trailer. The boat is definitely sitting down on the guide boards pretty much all of the way. The roller near the front of the guide boards (not the bow roller) has some of the boat weight on it. The two rollers toward the rear of the trailer have 1/8" to 1/4" clearance.

So, if there should be clearance between the guide boards and the hull then I'm assuming the outside bunk boards (that are vertical) need to come up some.
    Every Allison I have crawled under was at least sitting on the guide boards after getting rigged and loaded.. most were also on at least one roller after some good use.
    Most of the 2003 hulls built around 1999 would lack a couple of inches of touching the bow roller.. heard of more than one that either broke the winch strap, the hook or messed up the bow eye. Story back then was they were measured with hull only -- once everything was rigged it did not fit correctley..
    Several of us just added an extension to the bow roller.,

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Every Allison I have crawled under was at least sitting on the guide boards after getting rigged and loaded.. most were also on at least one roller after some good use.
    Most of the 2003 hulls built around 1999 would lack a couple of inches of touching the bow roller.. heard of more than one that either broke the winch strap, the hook or messed up the bow eye. Story back then was they were measured with hull only -- once everything was rigged it did not fit correctley..
    Several of us just added an extension to the bow roller.,
    My boat loads and unloads easy but is definitely sitting on the full length of the guide boards. The wear in the carpet is at rear where the back of the boat sits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12