Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anyone used composite bunks or slicks on XB21 trailer?

Has anyone used any of the carpet alternatives on your trailer bunk boards, ultimate bunk boards, gatorbak, bunk slicks, snaptraxx, etc?

If so, your experience?
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Interested in this as well. I'm getting close to re-carpeting and I like the gatorbak stuff.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    Based on what I have read on the Stroker board, there have been a couple of them that have added the gator-back.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    count me in too. I've been researching this as well. I want to replace my bunks (this winter) and get them adjusted CORRECTLY this time but don't want carpet touching the hull AND don't want a product that will flatten out causing the keel to be on the rollers. My angle brackets that secure the outer flat boards are all rusted where the bolts go thru attached to the boards. I also intend to use SS machine thread bolts with "T" nuts on the opposite side to secure the boards to the angle brackets
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    My bunk boards are in need of a redo so I've been reading about it some.

I'm not real interested in the individual strips based on what I've read, I want something that covers the entire board like the gatorbak or even the full composite board.

I just don't want anything that is going to indent or rough up the gelcoat anymore than carpet will.

6. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I think that Bass Cat tried the Gatorbak and mine came with the pillow block type. The gatorbak caused scratches and the pillow block material just wont hold up as mine are a year old and I am going to replace them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    I think that Bass Cat tried the Gatorbak and mine came with the pillow block type. The gatorbak caused scratches and the pillow block material just wont hold up as mine are a year old and I am going to replace them.
    What are you going back with?

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Bass Cat sent me new bunks with carpet.

9. Member
    i had a jaquar last year with some kind of hard plastic or rubber that basscat was using, they replaced with carpet, it was scratching the gel coat severly .

10. Member
    Is there something wrong with carpeted bunks? My 1999 XB2003 has been just fine now with them for 18 years.

11. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I suppose there's nothing wrong with carpeted bunks....had them on every boat I've owned since 1979. I guess the best solution is to see to it that the boat is sitting on the bunks correctly; weight evenly distributed front to back, both outer and inner bunks, majority of weight equal on the outer vertical bunks from the start and forget about the rest.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    Again what I have read on BBC is the carpet holds water which supposedly can create blistering of the gel coat where the hull sits on the bunks. Don't know if it is true, I have always had carpet.
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Is there something wrong with carpeted bunks? My 1999 XB2003 has been just fine now with them for 18 years.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I suppose there's nothing wrong with carpeted bunks....had them on every boat I've owned since 1979. I guess the best solution is to see to it that the boat is sitting on the bunks correctly; weight evenly distributed front to back, both outer and inner bunks, majority of weight equal on the outer vertical bunks from the start and forget about the rest.
    After redoing my bunks earlier this year, the boat now sits only on the outer, vertical bunks. None of the boat is supported by the guide bunks or the rollers on the trailer. Hopefully this is correct. I did notch the new bunks in the front to drop the nose down to where it should be in relationship to the front "stop roller" on the winch tower.

Darris said that he uses carpet because it will dry out and let the water dry thats on/in the wood, the some of the other products wrap around the wood and holds water that starts premature rot
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

15. Member
    From my understanding epa mandated gelcoats used since 2012 are porus and allow water & dirt to wick into it from sitting on wet carpet and causes blisters.

16. Member
    I don't really have any issues with my new to me boat having carpeted bunks, but since they need refreshing I thought I'd look into the other options. On my saltwater boats, getting them to slide off the trailer was more of an issue and I think the slick bunks really helped. But, with this boat, getting it to slide off isn't an issue at all.

So, basically, it's just time to redo them & I was looking up options.

17. Member
    Used gatorback on my gambler. Gatorback was placed on top of steel C channel in lieu of wood bunks. The gatorback would spaul / peel in string like slithers when loading the boat on the trailer. I started spraying / wiping the gatorback with aerosol silicone; No more problems. Boat loaded and unloaded excellent. Wet carpet on the gel coat frequently is not good and excelerates wood deteoration. My bunk boards are failing causing the boat position lower on the trailer. Planning to replace the bunk boards with steel rectangular tube and gatorback covering.
    Carte's Custom

18. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    After redoing my bunks earlier this year, the boat now sits only on the outer, vertical bunks. None of the boat is supported by the guide bunks or the rollers on the trailer. Hopefully this is correct. I did notch the new bunks in the front to drop the nose down to where it should be in relationship to the front "stop roller" on the winch tower.
    That is the correct way to set up your trailer. No load on anything but the outer bunks. You should be able to see clearance between the guide boards and hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    That is the correct way to set up your trailer. No load on anything but the outer bunks. You should be able to see clearance between the guide boards and hull.
    winter project coming. Good to know. Thanks
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Props4u2 View Post
    When measuring board height ---Be sure to allow for some board settling/shrinkage and carpet matting when going back with new carpet and (hand picked) boards. I like to put something between the bottom of the upright board and the trailer frame to support the 2 by 6-- if you don't the bolt hole in the wood will egg shape over time and allow the board to drop .. If you don't after a few trips you might be right back on the rollers.
    After all the talk of blisters I have left the bottom of the boards uncovered to facilitate faster drying. Another thing is to trim the carpet so it does not come in contact with the bunk support. -- this keeps the bracket from rusting as fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast