Anyone run 921 PHX and not like it ?

On the bubble of buying a PHX. Any major dislikes or anybody going back to a 920 or regular 921?

2. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wsbruton View Post
    On the bubble of buying a PHX. Any major dislikes or anybody going back to a 920 or regular 921?
    This is a great question! There's no doubt the PHX is a great big water boat. My question is how well does it do in skinny water?
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

3. Member
    Exactly. I know I'm going to love it on the open water of Sam Rayburn and Kentucky Lake but what about fishing docks in the Ozarks or shallow backwaters.

4. Member
    I have not seen any negative comments concerning draft. The hull as far as depth is concern is the same has the 921. The PHX has taller gunnels and the strakes on the side of the boat are different which is the two things that help with the big water ride and keeping it drier. You won't see a difference in this area then a 921. I fish Lake fork really shallow in the spring and in the stumps, I can get around as good as any of the 20 foot boats.

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    The guy's at Weidas marine have told me that t is just about the same as the 921 pro XP maybe an inch or so deeper draft. Just would like to hear people's personal experiences.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    The guy's at Weidas marine have told me that t is just about the same as the 921 pro XP maybe an inch or so deeper draft. Just would like to hear people's personal experiences.
    MichSkeeter I know Weidas is a dealer and most likely knows, I am just repeating what other dealers have told me. The PHX and 921 are same hull sitting or drafting. The two differences don't come into play till you get up on plane, then the strakes and taller gunnels come into play on making the hull move water differently to give it a better and drier ride. don't shoot the messenger just posting what I was told. LOL both good boats either way. I would take the PHX for better ride and drier ride if I buy another new one.

7. Member
    I will add one more thing the PHX is the only model or brand that the dealers don't seam to have a good idea of specs on this seams odd to me, and I am not sure why

8. Member
    More than likely because it’s the newest model. Well, was. You’ve got the 920 PHX out now.
    Last edited by Lape0019; 10-28-2017 at 01:23 PM.

9. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 921 View Post
    MichSkeeter I know Weidas is a dealer and most likely knows, I am just repeating what other dealers have told me. The PHX and 921 are same hull sitting or drafting. The two differences don't come into play till you get up on plane, then the strakes and taller gunnels come into play on making the hull move water differently to give it a better and drier ride. don't shoot the messenger just posting what I was told. LOL both good boats either way. I would take the PHX for better ride and drier ride if I buy another new one.
    The comments were in a short phone conversation I had not based on any technical information. Everything you said makes perfect sense and really goes along with what I was told. The person I spoke with did mention Sean Weida was running the PHX and had always been in a Skeeter up till the PHX came out. Also I believe Jeff the owner of Lake Drive in Coldwater Mi ran a PHX this year too. That says a lot in my mind.

10. Member
    I run a phx_21 and have had no problem in shallow water. Here in Cail we have alot of reserviors that have draw downs, so you fish shallow alot and i have had no complaints.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    The phx hull is slightly modified fron the 921 hull to provide a slightly better and drier ride yhan the 9xx series model. Shallow water draft is excellent compared to other brands. We fish extremely shallow here on the ohio river and have no issues.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jettdog68 View Post
    The phx hull is slightly modified fron the 921 hull to provide a slightly better and drier ride yhan the 9xx series model. Shallow water draft is excellent compared to other brands. We fish extremely shallow here on the ohio river and have no issues.
    JettDog other then the Strakes going all the way to the wings now and the gunnels higher is their anything else that was done to the hull over a 921? They are both listed on Phoenix web page as 21'6" length and 96" beam for both? I am just curious as it seams to be hard to find out the exact upgrades on the PHX. Thanks

13. BBC SPONSOR
    I ran the PHX this year and can tell you it is a world class rig for rough water. The PHX has longer strakes, the deck is 1 inch higher(giving the compartments more depth) The gunnels are higher from the rubrail to the the top...HOWEVER, they are no higher from the DECK to the top as the deck was raised one inch. The boat fishes drier and even in Lake Erie conditions the bow stays drier as the boat sits higher in the bow. Adding 1 inch to deck and making the gunnels thicker/ strakes further forward makes the boat more nose heavy, and in my opinion the boat rides better than a 921. This is the best "big water" boat built today and my opinion it drafts very shallow, not as shallow as an FX 21 Skeeter, but shallow enough and that is from an Ohio River rat who spends most of my time in shallow water(when I'm not offshore at Erie or Chickamauga) Also, not that I have an issue driving a boat, the 921 is easier to drive than a 9 series if you struggle with chine walk. Hope that helps... I say buy the 921 PHX and never look back...Give me call if you would like to talk

14. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Sean thanks for your input. What do you think is the best motor for this boat? I hear lots of good things about the G2'and Verado on th 921 hull. SHO, Pro XS?

15. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. After reading Muddbugg's explanation of the deck that is exactly what I was looking for. I am going forward with the purchase of the 921 PHX. Thanks again guys.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wsbruton View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. After reading Muddbugg's explanation of the deck that is exactly what I was looking for. I am going forward with the purchase of the 921 PHX. Thanks again guys.
    Check with Rich and Sean at Wiedas before you do anything. Well worth the drive!!! Only place I will buy a Phoenix
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Wsbruton, if you are in Oklahoma, check out Fun-N-Sun in Hurst, Texas. They know these boats well and can make you a great deal. I should know. I am now on Prostaff for them and Phoenix. I am driving a 2018 21 PHX and it is an absolute dream to drive. It will go through the roughest of water and I fish very shallow out of her as well. It will move along pretty fast too. So far, I've hit 74 alone in pretty good waves. I fished a tournament last week and I had 3 skeeter owners ask how fast I was going since I flew right past them all in the rough water. lol I will say also that these boats like everything high on them. I have a 12' Talon which I've had to mount at it's highest location to keep the water from hitting it while running. I also jack my motor up pretty high to keep the chine out. I like to run it up to about 2.25 to 2.5 ptp depending on load. I'm still using the prop they throw on these, which is a 25' Fury but I am going to buy a 25 Tempest Plus as I think it will run even better and add a little to the top end. I'm still tweaking on this boat and it keeps getting better. Message me for any questions if you'd like.
    Texas Hawgs Bass Fishing Guide Service
    2018 Phoenix 21 PHX - 2018 Mercury ProXS 250

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texashawgs View Post
    Wsbruton, if you are in Oklahoma, check out Fun-N-Sun in Hurst, Texas. They know these boats well and can make you a great deal. I should know. I am now on Prostaff for them and Phoenix. I am driving a 2018 21 PHX and it is an absolute dream to drive. It will go through the roughest of water and I fish very shallow out of her as well. It will move along pretty fast too. So far, I've hit 74 alone in pretty good waves. I fished a tournament last week and I had 3 skeeter owners ask how fast I was going since I flew right past them all in the rough water. lol I will say also that these boats like everything high on them. I have a 12' Talon which I've had to mount at it's highest location to keep the water from hitting it while running. I also jack my motor up pretty high to keep the chine out. I like to run it up to about 2.25 to 2.5 ptp depending on load. I'm still using the prop they throw on these, which is a 25' Fury but I am going to buy a 25 Tempest Plus as I think it will run even better and add a little to the top end. I'm still tweaking on this boat and it keeps getting better. Message me for any questions if you'd like.

I second this... I too ordered mine through Fun-N-Sun. Was so easy dealing with them even from way out in western Oklahoma. I run the 2018 21 PHX w/250 SHO and love it!! The ride is unmatched in big water and still gets the low to mid 70's some desire. The landing is soft and dry in all of the rough stuff. Couldn't be happier with the performance of my bird and the unparalleled service from Fun-N-Sun.