Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar

Question Henry .357 lever action for deer

Having access to the vast experts here on BBC, I'm asking for opinions. I'm about to have a cow to get a Henry lever action rifle, I just haven't "pulled the trigger" yet. I've got my eye on the 45-70 and the .357/.38 lever action.

Have any of you hunted whitetail with a .357 lever action and can you compare it to other similar lever action rifles? (e.g. 30-30). I think Hornady makes some hot rounds specific to the lever action rifles, I just don't know of anyone who has hunted with the Henry.

As always, thanks for the feedback.

2. Member
    Fine for deer. Easy enough to look up ballistics on them to compare to the 30/30 if that is your benchmark. Accuracy is probably more important than diameter and that comes down to what your comfort level and ability is. You get a bit more speed with the rifle when using a pistol round. XTP's or some of the rifle specific loads work excellent.
    45/70 will take anything in this part of the world up to about 200 yards if you decide to go that way but it is overkill for deer.

3. Member
    What ranges do you plan on shooting at deer and Do you intend on target shooting alot with this rifle?
    Can't say I've ever hunted with one but If it's not past 100-125yds and you plan on target shooting alot, I'd probably just go with the .357/38 since ammo is cheaper.
    If you don't target shoot much and plan on shooting near150-200yds, I'd probably lean towards the 45-70.

I could see the 30-30 being a happy medium though between cost to shoot and range
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

4. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    [QUOTE=I could see the 30-30 being a happy medium though between cost to shoot and range[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% check this out~~~> https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-henry-3030/

5. Member
    I have read a couple times that more animals have been taken with a 30/30 than all the others combined. Excluding military action I would agree...

6. Member
    I have seen deer killed with .357 pistols, but I don't think a .357 compares to a .30/30 for a deer round. A .38/.357 would be a lot cheaper to shoot though and will get the job done for a deer.

7. Member
    If you are hunting deer I would get the 30/30 or the 44 magnum model. A 357 will work but you are going to limit yourself somewhat to perfect shot angles imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    If you are hunting deer I would get the 30/30 or the 44 magnum model. A 357 will work but you are going to limit yourself somewhat to perfect shot angles imo.
    I would go with this as well...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

9. Member
    Btw the Henry center fires are really nice. Maybe consider the long ranger model as well?

10. Member
    Not sure why you say that? The .357 has taken a lot of game. Read some of the articles from when it was developed and brought out. It ain't a lightweight. Proper bullet, handloaded would be even better, and you get good energy. As with any pistol you have to be mindful of your distance, but you have to do that with any of the lower powered cartridges, rifle or pistol.
    The average shot distance for deer is what, 75 yards?

11. Member
    Here is an article for ya. Have not read it yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetr...57-magnum/amp/

I killed a good pig with my .357 but it was only about 30 yards. I like the fact that I can carry a pistol and a rifle of the same caliber. I also have both in a 44 mag. When I gun hunt from my bowstand I use a 3030 because it is scoped.

13. Member
    Let me throw another idea in the mix. I have a Marlin in 35 rem. It is easily the most accurate gun I own with the micro groove barrel. 200 gr RN bullet will knock em right in the dirt out to 150 yards.
    I have several Henry lever action. To me they aren't hunting rifles. Too pretty and too smooth. But man are they fun to shoot.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

14. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Great info y'all! thanks and keep it coming.

15. Member
    I have a 30-30 marlin lever action and the Henry 357. My brother has the 44mag. I would say for deer hunting I would go with the 30-30 for sure. I've taken them deer and hog hunting on our lease in Texas and have to say the 357 while it will definitely get the job done I feel like the 30-30 is a better round for deer anyways. The 44 defiantly has the knock down power as well but if I we're going for an all around gun and plan to have deer in mind I'll go 30-30. my two cents.

I have shot deer with a Ruger 357 revolver , and a T/C 44 mag.. have yet to have one run off ... have shot them out to 50yds with the 357 and 100 yds with the 44 mag.

17. Member
    Another vote for the 30-30. With the .357 you might be able to work up a decent load for close range deer hunting but it likely still wouldn't be as good on paper as a standard 30-30 load. Someone suggested getting a .35 Rem. Not for me. I owned a Marlin lever action for a little while and promptly sold it. Didn't enjoy the recoil.

18. Member
    What is legal in your state? Some states will allow pistol cartridge but not rifle such as 30-30

19. Member
    My son has my mdl 95 30/30 now. Took a few deer with it.
    But but never enjoyed the recoil. There was something about waiting for the hammer to fall and watching it go down that I did not enjoy. Wait for it wait for it boom thump in the shoulder. I enjoyed shooting the M14 much better in the Army than that old lever action

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    My son has my mdl 95 30/30 now. Took a few deer with it.
    But but never enjoyed the recoil. There was something about waiting for the hammer to fall and watching it go down that I did not enjoy. Wait for it wait for it boom thump in the shoulder. I enjoyed shooting the M14 much better in the Army than that old lever action
    Really? I lugged a Model 94 from age 12 til I was 26. Shot several deer and burned a bunch of shells at the gravel pit. I didn't mind the recoil. I always figured it was about the same as a 20 gauge. If you put on a decent slip-on recoil pad it should take the sting right out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast