Acceptable or not?

So here is the situation. I'm ice fishing a popular spot all by my lonesome. It's really cold out so I'm in my tent. A guy comes walking down to this area. Walks around for a bit and and stops and just stands there. I'm looking out my window and recognize him right away. Now I don't know him or even his name I just recognize him as "that guy". After a few minutes of him looking lost he wanders over to my tent. I know immediately what he wants. He starts out asking about the bite. Then he gets to it..."Can you drill some holes for me?" Dude goes ice fishing without an auger and has the balls to ask someone else to drill holes for him.

Now I'm saying I wouldn't ever help someone out. This dude does this all the time. A used ice auger can be found for as little as $10 for a blue Mora so I'm not very sympathetic with him. I'm usually a guy that will drill a ton of holes in an area and allow others to share my drilled holes. This day I only drilled two sets. I'm on my second set. I asked him, "do you own an auger?" which he replied "no". I told him that he shouldn't be ice fishing without an auger. It'd be different if he couldn't get his power auger started or had a dead battery or even just forgot his at home but none of those was the case. He simply would rather rely on others. I finally told him about my first set of holes and that he could use those, which he did.

So was I wrong? What would you have done? To me it's like showing up at the dock and asking strangers to take you out on their boat fishing with their rods and bait.

2. Member
    i get this all the time once we get 8 or more inches and i get the gas auger out its a dollar a hole thats what i tell them, because usually there are already hole there so why drill more, there are a few older guys out there and have there own auger and i drill theres so the dont have to do it by hand but they still have there auger on the ice with

3. Member
    Some people just seem to have no problem doing this. I am with you and would be like wtf is wrong with him. It would get annoying.
    But look at it this way you can drill him holes and let him fish or he could be a junkie that doesn't like to fish and breaks into your truck to steal your crap while your fishing....

4. Member
    I'd probably cut him a couple holes 100+ yards away. If he didn't like it...tell him to pound sand.

He was walking around looking for open holes.

5. Member
    If you're too lazy to drill you're own holes....go to the restaurant and buy fish dinner

Once you know him for asking for holes I wouldn't unless it was 5$ for a hole. But like you said if other stuff happens I'll help out.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Me speak "no English"

8. Member
    I have drilled holes for guys before without thinking twice about it, it only takes a few seconds and I usually need to stretch anyways. I did it for a guy last year and he gave me a bag of deer jerky. It was a win/win for me that day.
    2020 Ranger Z521C, 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke
    2016 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
    Winona Lake, IN

Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    Me speak "no English"
    "no habla ingleas" coming from a clearly white guy like me hahaha that be great
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    "no habla ingleas" coming from a clearly white guy like me hahaha that be great
    I am gonna use this one.

11. Member
    interesting i have never seen that before. A couple years ago something was wrong with the blades on my auger and i was just shaving ice. I packed up my stuff and left instead of asking someone to use there auger instead. I think if someone ask i would do it, but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by KC Ranger View Post
    I have drilled holes for guys before without thinking twice about it, it only takes a few seconds and I usually need to stretch anyways. I did it for a guy last year and he gave me a bag of deer jerky. It was a win/win for me that day.
    This happened to me at Devil's Lake. It was great jerky too. That said, if it was all the time by the same guy it might become a hassle. especially if I'm in my shack sitting on a pile of fish.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat