Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine info on helix

Anyone figure out how to get more info from a sho to show up on the helix units yet? I'm about to be in a new boat and would ideally like to set it up to monitor the motor with my graphs but if rpm and temp is still all I can get I'll set up an lmf-400

2. Member
    Press the Select digital readouts on the setup menu, then select the data box you want to customize, then select the data source (e.g. Engine 1) then while on the Engine 1 selection press the check mark button.

Took me awhile to figure this out but now I can see all the data my Yamaha is outputting on the NMEA bus. Engine hours being the most important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb357 View Post
    Anyone figure out how to get more info from a sho to show up on the helix units yet? I'm about to be in a new boat and would ideally like to set it up to monitor the motor with my graphs but if rpm and temp is still all I can get I'll set up an lmf-400
    You'll need some cables and hardware connect the SHO to the Helix;

1. Yamaha Engine Interface Cable(Have them install when they rig the motor).

2. The Interface Cable plugs into the Boat's NMEA Backbone...Most Boat manufacturers offer this.

3. With the Helix you will need the NMEA to Ethernet Converter. Then an Ethernet cable that plugs into the Helix

4. You will probably need an Ethernet hub to connect two Helix's

5. NMEA plugs straight in a Solix eliminating some of the extra hardware. This makes the cost difference much smaller. Something to think about...

Quote Originally Posted by Haybo View Post
    You'll need some cables and hardware connect the SHO to the Helix;

1. Yamaha Engine Interface Cable(Have them install when they rig the motor).

2. The Interface Cable plugs into the Boat's NMEA Backbone...Most Boat manufacturers offer this.

3. With the Helix you will need the NMEA to Ethernet Converter. Then an Ethernet cable that plugs into the Helix

4. You will probably need an Ethernet hub to connect two Helix's

5. NMEA plugs straight in a Solix eliminating some of the extra hardware. This makes the cost difference much smaller. Something to think about...

Got all that stuff on my '17 SHO and Helix 7 SI GPS GN2. All I can see is RPM and Engine Temp. Is there something I'm missing on setting up the graph to display more engine data? This has been EXTREMELY frustrating to me and I don't seem to be able to get a straight answer from anyone.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

5. Member
    Midnight Rider,
    Press the check mark button in the digital readouts setup section and it will allow you to change the source.

Thanks...I will do that and hope that it solves my issue. If it does, and if you lived closer, I'd buy you a couple of beers.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

One thing you will need if you want anything to do with MPG is an NMEA2K antenna to connect to your backbone unless you can get info from your GPS on speed.
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    Press the Select digital readouts on the setup menu, then select the data box you want to customize, then select the data source (e.g. Engine 1) then while on the Engine 1 selection press the check mark button.

Took me awhile to figure this out but now I can see all the data my Yamaha is outputting on the NMEA bus. Engine hours being the most important to me.
    Maybe I'm stupid, but I went to the digital readout screen in setup, selected the data box, then the data source. I do NOT have Engine 1 as a data source on those pages. The only place I can choose engine data is on the NMEA setup, and as stated earlier, I only get RPM and engine temp, nothing else. Perhaps the Helix 7 (newest version and software) does not allow that option on the data source for the boxes. I tried it on box and overlay. Neither give me that option. I could be missing something, but the data sources are all temp, gps, speed, SOG, COG, nav. No engine source.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

9. Member

Helix 10 G2N NMEA screens

Here are what my menu screens look like on a Helix 10 G2N Mega.
    Perhaps they are different on a Helix 7.

Menu>Accessories>NMEA2K Gateway

Menu>Select Readouts (While an NMEA view is active)

Press Checkmark button to change parameter

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks....must be different software for the 7. None of my data boxes look anything like those. On no screen do I ever see engine hours as an option. Weird.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

11. Member
    Don't feel bad, I'm unable to get position data to show even though I know the GPS data is there because I have Altitude, Time, and Date.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but do you know if the Helix 9 GPS SI G2n has the data boxes you show on your Helix 10 Mega? I'm unsure if a 10 will fit flush in my dash and I don't want to cover the hole and start over. If so, I'll move the Helix 7 SI in the dash now to the front, and sell the DI that is there now. Still trying to get more engine data...
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but do you know if the Helix 9 GPS SI G2n has the data boxes you show on your Helix 10 Mega? I'm unsure if a 10 will fit flush in my dash and I don't want to cover the hole and start over. If so, I'll move the Helix 7 SI in the dash now to the front, and sell the DI that is there now. Still trying to get more engine data...
    The Helix 9 and Helix 10 are the same physical size, just the display size is different. If you got room for a 9, you got room for a 10.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member

Maybe this will help.

I contacted Hummingbird tech support...they informed me that NONE of the Helix units would display the engine data I want. I am now thinking that it may be because I have a Yamaha Engine. I know Tweakr is showing me photos of his screens on his Helix 10 Mega, but perhaps 'birds don't like the data the Yamaha ECM puts on the backbone. This is really frustrating!!!
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

16. Member
    It looks that way on this chart for yomama for engine adapters but there is some command module that does something: https://www.humminbird.com/Category/...AQ/EngineData/

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    It looks that way on this chart for yomama for engine adapters but there is some command module that does something: https://www.humminbird.com/Category/...AQ/EngineData/
    Yomama is a bad ass

18. Member
    I have a Yamaha 2017 VF115LA and I do see engine data on a Helix 10 G2N.
    Using NMEA starter kit and Lowrance Yamaha NMEA cable.
    Pictures say more than words.

Just weird...I'm going to just have to trace every single wire/connection to ensure it's all hooked up right. Hummingbird tech support obviously doesn't know their own product very well. I have scoured the internet and there is no reason for it not to work, unless it's not properly hooked up under the dash and cowling. I have checked it previously, but maybe I missed something.
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

20. Member
    The only way for you to know for sure would be to connect a different NMEA device and see if the data is there.
    If you can already see RPM and engine temp and they're accurate readings, my suspicion is the Helix software is at fault.
    One thing I've learned in the last few months, is there are many many different equipment configurations/combinations folks are using out there.
    Some others had success outputting NMEA 0183 from the HB GPS/heading sensor and converting it to NMEA2k which I tried doing to no avail.
    I could only see time, date, altitude, as well as depth and heading, but I needed full GPS info for my LMF-200 for fuel management data.
    I ended up installing a separate Point 1 Lowrance GPS puck and now I'm good to go.
    Some guys have used a PC and Hyperterm to read the raw NMEA data sentences but that takes some serious time and tinkering and in the end you'll still be at HB's mercy to come up with a fix.
    You may look into installing an LMF 400 or 200, if you can find one, to get the info you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast