Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaky compartments on Z21

I have a 2016 Z21. When it rains, even with the Nitro cover on the boat, water gets in both rod boxes and all three storage compartments. All of my cork handled rods and tackle bags have mold growing on them. My gear stays soaked. Took it to Bass Pro in Broken Arrow. They said they had no idea where it’s coming from and there is nothing they can do. I called White River Marine group. The lady I talked to said there’s no way that much water can get in the boxes other than maybe during a driving rain storm. It rained theee times while the boat was at bass Pro. Guess what? It had water in the compartments. She said I need to keep the drains cleaned out. That does nothing to stop water coming in the compartments. Any suggestions?

update......Spoke to the manager and he was helpful. He told me they would fix the issue one way or another. That was good to hear.
    Last edited by coachmks; 10-27-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Areas you can look, passing through the latches, and make sure there is silicon on on top and bottom of rub rail.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Rub rail is always the usual suspect.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    My z19 leaks too like that.

5. Member
    On another boat I had, the leaks came from the bow panel area and the water ended up in both my rod lockers. If you have a recessed foot pedal look in that area also since some drain lines from the recess lead into the locker area.

Do u have the cover elevated on the bow. Like a 5 gallon bucket, or something to help rain water run off?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Yes, the cover is elevated off the deck. Seems the water is going through the latches on the lids. Tackle bags 6 inches off the bottom of the compartments are wet after a rain. I am not getting 6 inches of water in the compartments and the bags were located directly under the latches. It has to be coming through the latches. I do not see any other way for it to happen. On another note, the factory Nitro cover is about as waterproof as a paper towel. Is there a good product I can use to treat it and at least get a little more protection from the cover?

8. Member
    303 Fabric Guard works fairly well. I've used scotch guard also but not as long lasting and don't believe it is UV resistant.

Note: May want to verify with Dowco before using a product to avoid any warranty issue
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

9. Member
    Every compartment in my 2009 Z7 has leaked from day one-only when it is raining. In my particular case, I know the rub rails are not the cause. I think most of my leaking is from the bow area into both rod lockers, and around all compartment lids. I think there is also a little water getting in around the Perko locks in the lids. A fishing buddy of mine is so small he actually slid sideways down into my starboard side rod locker with a flashlight (true story). He said it was open as far up towards the front that he could see, and that was nearly to the very front. He is convinced that part of my problem is water accumulating in the back (no auto bilge pump), and running all the way to the front of the boat and down into the rod lockers during sudden stops (as in sudden stops coming off plane and also when trailering home). It all remains a mystery to me. I have had some very smart and experienced boat and engine repair techs look at my problem. No one has been sure they could fix the leaks and wanted to try. I am resigned to living with it. My compartment lids always remain open when my boat is in storage, and after all these years, still no mold/mildew.

10. Member
    It really bites having to empty all that wet stuff out of my compartments when I get home from getting caught out in a thunderstorm. When rain is in the forecast, I either fish with my friend in his boat (dry compartments), or I stay home. At least I am retired and can pick my days to fish.

Have u tightened your latches?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Tightened latches. Always have the latch lever o-ring down covering hole, adjusted the latch "lock arms" so that it has really pulled the lids very snugly against compartment rims, still need to verify hinges aren't leaking. Guess I'll need to take a water hose to those.

13. Member
    Deadwood we have the same issue. It’s the latches. Mine are tight. Pretty bad deal on a boat of this price range to deal with leaking compartments.

14. Member
    Around the latches, or through them? I had a long conversation with Perko about their latches.
    Last edited by deadwood; 11-14-2017 at 09:02 AM.

O rings? Covering the hole.... sounds like the old t latches. I thought the 2016 Z21s had the d rings latches.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    I can’t tell if it’s around them or through the middle. Mine are the D style.

17. Member
    Mine are the old T latches. 2009 Z7. Post #9.

18. Member
    It's definitely the o-rings on mine. I pulled one of the latches apart and the o-ring that they are using is way to small. Water passes right through them. I'm going to put either some square shoulder o-rings or just a thicker o-ring.
    2020 Nitro Z21
    300 Pro XS 4S

19. Member
    so exactly how did you come up with the idea the oring is too small... maybe the oring is pinched, have you put a water hose on it to see how its leaking? every boat I have had has some issues with leaking compartments in heavy rain or heavy seas

20. Member
    All I did was pour a cup of water into the latch and it ran through to the storage compartments so, I pulled the latch apart and seen how little the o-ring was and how it had already worn inside of a year. Luckily for me I worked in a mold shop for 10 years and I was able to get a bigger o-ring. I installed them this week and retested.....no water through the latches. I'm not saying that you won't ever get any water in the compartments but, I know for a fact that the o-rings on my latches were leaking inside of the boat being a year old.
    2020 Nitro Z21
    300 Pro XS 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast