Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

17 trx 21 over rev.??

this is my first triton. Love the boat but I feel like something is off. It's at 6000 rpm at 69mph. No matter the trim or hydraulic jackplate adjustment it stays in the same range. Currently running a 25 fury, I bought a 26 fury that's on its way to mark. Hoping that cures my problem. It's there something I'm doing wrong?

2. Member
    You should go for a ride with an experienced pilot to see if the problem is you, or the boat. There is a learning curve, you can't just hold the wheel still, and mash the throttle.

3. Member
    I'm no pro bass boat driver, however this is my first triton, but 5th bass boat. I know enough to feel like something is off. I know all props are not identical, or the tach is possibly off. I'm getting 20+ psi of water pressure so I'm not over trimmed nor do I have the jackplate to high.

Is the 6K reading on the tach or Smartcraft? My tach on my '16 reads a little high. I'm running max trim with wedges to get top end on my TRX21 so I don't think you're trimmed too high. My speeds are about the same as yours with a Fury 3, a lot of the guys are running a tempest and getting a little more top end out of theirs. I've got a tempest but haven't run it yet. I run a Fury 4 and get a lot more lift and dependable speed then the Fury 3, it would not get any lift with a load.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John st View Post
    I'm no pro bass boat driver, however this is my first triton, but 5th bass boat. I know enough to feel like something is off. I know all props are not identical, or the tach is possibly off. I'm getting 20+ psi of water pressure so I'm not over trimmed nor do I have the jackplate to high.
    How do you know when the jackplate is at the proper PTP height?

6. Member
    You can mash the gas and go on the trx ,they say it's the same hull as the hp but it doesn't ride like it
    i run a 25 and 26 tempest worked by mark and 72.6 is about the slowest I've seen . I've only been able. To turn @ 5700 rpms
    its ran 75.6 in the cold and empty ,this hull is no where near as fast as the hp , my old boat would run 78-79 most of the time

7. Member
    John st if this is your first hydraulic plate make sure it's turned on.

8. Member
    Tach, don't have smart craft. Might look into getting it. Haven't had any issue with lift. She gets out of the hole and goes, just hits 6k to fast. I back off not wanting to cause engine damage, but I'm certain I could hit the rev limiter

9. Member
    Its on. I've experimented with it quite a bit already trying to find the sweet spots for hole shot and top end

10. Member
    Well if it's on your trying to run too high prop to pad with the fury or it's trashed because it's slipping real bad. Are you running loaded or lite?

11. Member
    I'd have to say I ride light. I have a tackle garage I load for the day. Don't carry all my tackle. I haven't taken the prop off yet to get ptp, but on the atlas 10" I usually run it between 3 - 4in. Is it possible that a new prop is that off?

12. Member
    How is your hole shot?

13. Member
    Well it's lightning fast compared to the zx-250 I just traded in. No blow out, seems right on hole shot

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John st View Post
    I'd have to say I ride light. I have a tackle garage I load for the day. Don't carry all my tackle. I haven't taken the prop off yet to get ptp, but on the atlas 10" I usually run it between 3 - 4in. Is it possible that a new prop is that off?
    You do NOT have to remove the prop to get the PTP measurement.....

15. Member
    Savage, the guy is on the forum because he is needing help. Maybe you shouldn't reply if all your responses are going to make it seem like he doesn't know anything
    2019 19trx w/ 225 V8 Pro XS

16. Member
    Ptp is sort of irrelevant anyway. If I take off I shallow water I lift the plate up. No way of knowing where it's at unless I came off plane stood up and looked to see where it's at. No gauge to tell me at console. It's kind of a feeling thing. It I lift it to high it loses speed and handles poorly. I've lowered the jackplate all the way down, all the way up while riding bottom line is it goes over 6000 rpm which I don't want. I see he's trying to make me feel stupid but I'm not. Nor am i a boat designer, mechanic. I've personally set up my skeeter, a stratus. Adjusting the props and manual jackplate. I took my prop off before to get the ptp guess I was working harder not smarter. So thanks for the tip savage
    Last edited by John st; 10-29-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Let us know how the 26 runs.

18. Member
    Will do. It should be in this week.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bthompson92 View Post
    Savage, the guy is on the forum because he is needing help. Maybe you shouldn't reply if all your responses are going to make it seem like he doesn't know anything
    Believe me I am helping him since he believes the prop has to be removed to measure the PTP.....I even provided him with a sketch on how to measure it, how is that not helping him....Its extremely important to know the PTP in order to setup the boat for maximum performance. The OP should get a gauge to tell him the PTP instead of guessing. 1/4" of Motor height can make or break a setup and nobody can guess and be that accurate.
    Last edited by Savage; 10-29-2017 at 08:23 PM.

20. Member
    Savage. Last time out on the lake I took a good 15 mile run. I launched out of the hole with the jackplate all the way up maxed out. I backed off only on the bow drop so it wouldn't blow out. From there I moved it down with tiny adjustments all the way until it was down completely. Two things happened, it was at 6000 with more to go I didn't push it harder. Or eventually it started losing bow lift and speed. Bogged down. Somewhere in all that it should have had a sweet spot maybe just within a 1/4 like you said. I should have found it. Like I said I know how crucial ptp is for optional set up. You are right my friend especially on a manual jackplate. But it should preform well within an inch or so of the optimal ptp. I doubt a gauge will be 1/4 accurate. It goes back to being a feel for it type of thing. I don't just mash the gas and hold the wheel as you implied. I'm pretty sure it's the prop. There was a big difference on my skeeter with a 25t1 or 27t1. 25 would over rev. I just can't imagine this triton being sold new with a prop that over revs. I'm pretty certain most of them come with the 3 blade 25 fury. Maybe mine has a defect. I'll let you know how the 26 does thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast