Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Most gauges display in 1/4" Increments and are extremely accurate.

2. Member
    john what part of bama are you located?

3. Member
    Jasper area. I fish smith alot.

4. Member
    haven't been there If you was close I may could look at it for you and see if I could help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by John st View Post
    this is my first triton. Love the boat but I feel like something is off. It's at 6000 rpm at 69mph. No matter the trim or hydraulic jackplate adjustment it stays in the same range. Currently running a 25 fury, I bought a 26 fury that's on its way to mark. Hoping that cures my problem. It's there something I'm doing wrong?
    Can you give us some details on what engine and lower unit gear ratio you have? Have you tried any other props?

6. Member
    So while waiting on the 26 fury, I had the tach checked. It's accurate. The salesman that sold me the boat said be happy, that he wishes his would turn that many rpm.

Garfish I'm sorry bud I don't know the ratio of the tourqe master lower unit. 250 pro xs. I will try a 26p fury. Soon as I do I'll post results.

7. Member
    It's the thought that counts man. Thanks

I’m watching this post with interest and the fact that this engine hits 6k easily with a 25p and great hole shot and still pulls 69mph makes me think you have great potential once you find your correct prop and set up. I have to agree with you John St that something is off and maybe that 25 really isn’t that tall, would love to see what a prop guy says if they properly measure it. Also if your engine maintains 6k with trim in or out, jackplate up it down, that is a nice strong motor with a lot more to give. Again, have to agree that it would be unusual for a dealer or manufacturer to supply a prop that “over revs” my money is on that 25 is faulty. Would be great if you could borrow the same type 25 fury and test to quickly prove the point

9. Member
    Is your 25 Fury stock? In my experience the Fury props lose speed when worked.

10. Member
    First thing you need is accurate measurements, which includes RPM. I've seen MANY analog tachs that are off, too high, too low. I have seen 'em set wrong (switch on back that tells the tach how many ignition pulses per revolution).

Also I didn't see which motor you are running. Redlines vary by manufacturer and even within manufacturer by engine type (optimax vs pro xs, for example, or 200 pro xs vs 250 pro xs), or two-stroke vs four-stroke. If you are past the redline, you might be seeing the rev limiter acting like an old engine governor. Or you might be seeing a motor than wants to spin past 6000. Or you might be seeing an incorrect RPM reading from your tach.

Once you have a really accurate RPM number, then you can determine if the prop pitch is not as stamped. I have seen several props over the years that were reduced in pitch by a sandbar. Or just by hard running. The blades flex continuously. They will slowly splay out and lose pitch. A prop shop with pitch blocks or a pitch gauge can spot this quickly.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

11. Member
    Why are you taking off with the jack plate all the way up then jacking it down? Unless your in shallow water when you take off you don't need to run it all the way down except maybe in rough water. You should run with the plate 3" under and up to get maximum speed from that boat and running with the plate down just makes drag since the lower unit is too low in the water. Set the plate half way up get under the boat and measure your prop to pad so you have a reference point for prop to pad height while your running. That motor will turn a 25" prop to 6000 rpm's with the prop too low but you won't get any speed from it and a 26" prop won't help if you run it the same way your running the 25". At 6000 rpm's running by yourself you should be hitting 75-76 mph.

12. Member
    On some boats, running it up works better. Raises the thrust line of the motor so that the bow doesn't rise so high.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member
    I ran a 25 and 26 fury 3 blade stock, terrible for my rig. When you say it's "off", the way they ran for me, jumped out the hole, but a ton of slip, so much so I felt like I could feel it slip. Had a 26 fury worked, amazing the difference. But I have to run it lower than any other prop I've tried. Once I found the correct height, it will grab, very little slip, and go. I have a hydraulic plate as well. I think you would really benefit from finding what your prop to pad is, then start at 3" below. Fury's are made to run low.
    Last edited by jrspop; 11-04-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Why are you taking off with the jack plate all the way up then jacking it down? Unless your in shallow water when you take off you don't need to run it all the way down except maybe in rough water. You should run with the plate 3" under and up to get maximum speed from that boat and running with the plate down just makes drag since the lower unit is too low in the water. Set the plate half way up get under the boat and measure your prop to pad so you have a reference point for prop to pad height while your running. That motor will turn a 25" prop to 6000 rpm's with the prop too low but you won't get any speed from it and a 26" prop won't help if you run it the same way your running the 25". At 6000 rpm's running by yourself you should be hitting 75-76 mph.
    It takes off better acually. And I was putting it up and down on a long run trying to diagnose the issue

15. Member
    26p fury came in from croxton. Fished a tournament today, loaded, full tank, live wells, 2 men 73.8 at 6100 hole shot was slightly slower, but tolerable. I'll take it. I dont feel the need to spend a few hundred more on a prop that may or may not take away the extra 100 rpm. I'll just back off a touch. Thanks for everyone's insight. So who wants to buy a turd fury? Lol

16. Member
    Something is wrong with your Tachometer reading.......The Rev Limiter, and Alarm will be going off at 6100 RPM, so your reading is not correct.

17. Member
    Notified the dealer of the issue. They took it in to be checked. The tach read correctly according to dealer

18. Member
    Rev limiter comes in at 6300 from my understanding

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John st View Post
    Rev limiter comes in at 6300 from my understanding
    Somebody gave you wrong info......limiter is NOT 6300

20. Member
    Well I'm at a cross road. Dealer said it checked out. If the limiter was 6100 i would have hit it several times

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast