Another 2S rookie question

2016 Mercury 250 pro xs:
    What is the oil burn rate on "average" use? Meaning, if I buy one gallon of oil, how many gallons of gas should you expect to use? I know it all "depends" on how you drive it, but just looking for a ballpark/average number for normal use?

2. Member
    Unless identical boats, identical loads, and identical driving habits, there is no way to suggest an average. Best practice is to start with your remote tank at 80% and not let it go below 30%. Keep enough DFI on hand to refill to 80% when needed.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    I was just considering buying bulk, lot more $$ now, but save a little over the long haul. I probably put 60 - 70 hours a year on a motor, and a good % of that is graphing. Wondering if I bought 3 or 4 gallons at a time if it'd be sitting in my garage for 2+years.

4. Member
    I buy DFI in 5gal cases (2ea 2.5gal jugs) and keep them same place I keep the boat. I top off remote tank anytime it drops below half. I typically run half the hours you do in a season and spend virtually no time graphing (long runs at 3600 - 4400rpm). I might use 3gals a season and I don't worry about sealed containers after 2 or 3yrs, 5yrs maybe.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    thanks, good information to get me started.

for me this year i was getting close to one gallon of dfi for every 60 gallons of fuel, now a couple times i put 1.5 gallons of dfi
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Unless identical boats, identical loads, and identical driving habits, there is no way to suggest an average. Best practice is to start with your remote tank at 80% and not let it go below 30%. Keep enough DFI on hand to refill to 80% when needed.

If you need further assistance, please check out the 3L Mercury Forum (specific for YOUR engine).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-31-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Will do