Thread: Lost engine com

Lost engine com

2007 225 pro xs sn 1B389073

Trying to instal a smart craft gauge that I purchased from an individual on here and keep getting a lost engine com error upon startup, any ideas?

2. Member
    If you don't have a cable issue, then the device has a problem.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perform a Master Reset (or reset to Factory Defaults).

Try again and report back with results (be sure to specify which instrument you have, also).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Perform a Master Reset (or reset to Factory Defaults).

Try again and report back with results (be sure to specify which instrument you have, also).
    Have the level 1 eco 4.60. Restored factory reset and still have the same issue.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please describe all cables/connections, starting at the engine, and ending at the back of the instrument.

Pictures may also be helpful.

Suspect a cable (or terminating resistor) problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Please describe all cables/connections, starting at the engine, and ending at the back of the instrument.

From the gauge I have the smart craft wire bundle that goes to a gender adapter and blue data craft cable that I just purchased from you brand new. The gauge and wire bundle were purchased used.

7. Member

dropped my boat off at a dealership and the technician is reporting that the gauge is not compatible with my engine. Do 2007 pro xs not have smart craft capability?

8. Member
    Your motor is Smartcraft capable......sounds like you have the wrong gauge, according to the technician. Where did you purchase this gauge from?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Your motor is Smartcraft capable......sounds like you have the wrong gauge, according to the technician. Where did you purchase this gauge from?
    Purchased from an individual on here it's a basic merc monitor eco. Don't know how it could possibly be the wrong gauge.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A Basic MercMonitor (Eco) is absolutely compatible with your ProXS engine. Backwards compatible to 2003 production (and in some cases, beyond that) for Optimax models.

Did you depin either connector for the blue cable when you ran it through?

11. Member
    I did not. Dealer is now reporting that they were unable to get their software to talk to my engine and had to use the old diagnostic system? They said they're talking to mercury about the issue now. Could it be a faulty pcm? Engine has never had an issue running with the exception of my current oil issue which is a cracked hose. Also the diagnostic fuse is good.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See if you can get a picture of the STB Side of the engine (that shows the labels on the PCM), One of the PORT side, and one of the REAR.

Let's make sure what shows in the pictures matches up.

What brand boat is this (Triton?)? If so, there's a possibility that a boat harness problem caused PCM damage.

13. Member
    Yes it's a triton, is this a common problem with mercury and triton? I'll get pictures when I pick it back up from the dealer.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Actually may be able to diagnose this with a simple DVOM, with several items unplugged. Suspect Can-P will be showing a dead-short when checked. (If so, let me know and I'll steer you to the most common "oops").

15. Member
    Actually may be able to diagnose this with a simple DVOM, with several items unplugged. Suspect Can-P will be showing a dead-short when checked. (If so, let me know and I'll steer you to the most common "oops").
    Tell me what I need to check and I'll gladly report. Just got the boat back so I'll upload pictures tomorrow of the stbd, port, and rear engine.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Drop me a PM or an Email with your phone number. Would be best if we could phone conference when you have access to the boat (and your meter).