Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1500 Dodge Ecodiesel?

Anyone got one? Happy? Good tower?

2. Member
    I have a 2015 1500 ECO diesel Longhorn Laramie 4X4 with 3.92 gear and air ride suspension. I currently have about 55,000 miles on mine, tows my boat very well.
    2016 Phoenix 919 10" bobs jackplate with dual 8' blades, 225 merc and 25 fury

The one thing made me hesitate buying one is the motor is designed by Fiat and made by Maserati. It made me decide to wait to see how its reliability and availability of parts before jumping on one.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    The one thing made me hesitate buying one is the motor is designed by Fiat and made by Maserati. It made me decide to wait to see how its reliability and availability of parts before jumping on one.

This motor has has been made for well over 20 years by Fiat mines been great no problems.
    2016 Phoenix 919 10" bobs jackplate with dual 8' blades, 225 merc and 25 fury

5. Member
    My son has a 2015 4x4 and likes it. He gets 26-27 MPG on the HWY and around 19 pulling a 45 HP Kubota tractor with 6 foot bush hog on an equipment trailer.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

I'm pretty sure it's been in production only 13 years maybe twenty, the motor is honestly a bit simple witch is great for reliability. And rams are great ;)
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    In cold weather some of the first ones had really bad intercooler freezing problems.
    Think this is fixed now.

If you want to tow a large heavy camper or trailer it may be too light compared to a V8 gas.
    Not as bad as the Ford eco boost, but similar.
    Just not enough weight on the front axel for heavy loads to control sway.

8. Member
    Presently Ive got a 13 GMC 2500 Duramax. Its to much truck for what I use it for but its hard to get away from the diesel power. Id really like something that rides better and pulls a boat just as well and with better mpg. Ecodiesel is about the only thing out there that will do these 3 things

9. Member
    champ, I have a 15 Longhorn with all bells and whistles. 38K miles and pull a Ranger. Best all around pickup I've ever had. By the way, they are Ram now...not Dodge.

10. Member
    I’m interested in this as well. I’ve heard stories of expensive maintenance issues. So without spouting off and starting rumors, can anyone say how much you pay for an oil change and fuel filters?

Next question is really about towing power. Do you find the transmission hunting a new gear often when pulling the boat when not on flat ground? Do you feel as though there really is enough power?

I’ve been a 3/4 ton diesel guy for many years. I’m currently in a GMC 1500 5.3 and am not overly happy when towing. I miss the power, but feel it really is overkill with a 3/4 ton.

I did test drive one when they first came out. During that test drive I felt like they were under powered, but I was also comparing it to a 3/4 ton diesel.

11. Member
    Good friend of mine had one. Think his was a 15. He went from an 06 5.9 2500 to the Ecodiesel. To both of us, it pulled just as good. He's got a 21ft Nitro, and it pulled it great. I'm sure for 10k lbs plus, you'd need the 2500 series, but for what you're wanting, it will perform great. I've got the same truck as you, just an 11. For me personally, I'd have a hard time giving the Duramax up. But I tow 12k with it, and know the Ecodiesel wouldn't do it. If I was just towing a bass boat I would seriously look at it. I think he got about 26 mpg with it. I don't remember what he got towing.

12. Member
    Got a 15 Laramie Limited ECO with 82K miles on it. Majority of those miles are towing to tournaments. Love the truck and so do most people who ride with me. I love the layout of the cockpit just wish it had a bit more room both front and back. I've got the 6'4" bed, air suspension, ram boxes, and upgraded tires to BFG KO2's great ride and average about 21 city/hwy and 15 towing.

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    My dad has one with about 60,000miles on it and loves it. Just changed the oil is it so far. Gets about 30/hwy & 20 city
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    I've spent many hours in my FIL's 16 Eco Ram. So far the only problems have been it left him stranded after the PCM connection wasn't sealed. Why they put the brain box out under the hood is beyond me? A dealer sealed those connections and no more issues with that. He got a light on the DEF, covered under a recall. He also has a diesel Mercedes that's maybe six years old? He's as happy with the Ram. His son, my BIL, has that Eco in a Grand Cherokee. His has been perfect for over 80,000 miles.

Both seem to get about the same mpg as my new Ridgeline unloaded, 20 MPG combined. I'm getting 17-18 pulling my Ranger RT188. So, it's going to boil down to what are you pulling and do you want the bigger truck? The cost of fuel will offset the extra mpg. You should see excellent trade value if the bigger diesel pickups are any indicator.

Diesels SHINE when you use them for loads! IMO if you're running around empty most of the time you simply like driving a diesel. That's ok, we all justify our purchases.

15. Member
    As of right now my truck books for about 40k trade in value. Ive seen several ecodiesels advertised for around 45k -50k. Since I only have 1 payment left on the 13 GMC the idea is very entertaining. The 1st 5yrs of the GMCs life was dedicated to pulling the boat about 12k miles a yr. I drove a civic for the 100 mile round trip for work but with both kids driving I hate to have another vehicle setting around so I'm gonna be driving the truck for work and play which is why I'm even considering the idea. Wish Ford or Chevy would get in the 1/2 ton diesel race.

An eco diesel should do better than a 5.3 Chevy but not much will compare to 3/4 work diesels
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

17. Member
    Been waiting for the other 2 American companies to come out with a light duty option also to give some incentive to keep Ram on it's toes...but nope! Just Nissan with a Cummins in it is the Ram 3.0 Eco's only real competitor.

Since 3/4 ton diesels were mentioned...have an 02 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. Top notch in every category...even 20 mpg highway. Pulling is almost hilarious...will accidentally break the rears loose with a trailer on back. Still worth $12-13k from a $35k sticker. Will find a used one for $12-13k tomorrow if I total it today. New trucks prices today are just laughable...
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

18. Member
    Along with boat prices

19. Member
    Yes sir you are right! Got an old boat too for that reason. Haven't had a boat or truck note for about a decade now...dont plan on having either of those ever again or buying new ever again. 02 truck, 96 boat, 99 hotrod...done.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

20. Member
    I have a 2014 Bighorn with a 3.55 rear end. The truck generates 420 foot lbs of torque at 2000 rpms. So, if all you are pulling is a bass boat you will love it. If I were towing a camper or big trailer, I would get a 3/4 ton. I drove my truck to Fairbanks, AK and back this summer and averaged 29.2 mpg. I change the oil every 10,000 miles per the book and have had no issues other than some minor recall stuff that the dealer updated when I had it in for an oil change. I get 17-17.5 towing my Caracal. Best riding truck I have ever owned. I think my oil changes run $149. I get my DEF at truck stops and it runs around $3 a gallon. The truck has a 10 gallon DEF tank and a full DEF tank will last 10,000 miles or more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast