Engine id Mariner

Gooday gents can somebody be so nice and help me to id this engine ,serial no OB266805 mariner 220 ,I would like to know what year it has been manufactured and if it is a 2.4 or 2.5lt. Im interested in buying this motor , I also understand the beginning of the fuel injection motors were problematic and only later has it been sorted out ,not sure which year.Google only came up 1988 and up , if somebody have any knowledge of these engines it will be very helpfull

2. Member
    EARLY 1987 or 1988 2.4 litre, 1st gen. laser EFI design. the analog ECU was the the weak link in the system, although , i know of several of them still in use!

3. Member
    I think it is a 95 mod ,from which year did they refined the efi system it says on the motor cover " electronic fuel injection" , Magnum EFI ,unfortunately it only have the serial no ,i can not get any info on that number ,I will have more confidence to buy it if a later mod
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Yep it is in the late 80's as it has the clam shell cowling . Think in the 90's the cowl change to the one piece cowling . And the color was a lite gray .

1989 was the first year of the bucket cowl.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

6. Member
    Thankyou guys for the replies, i was hoping it was a later mod

7. Member
    They used that cowl till 95. 96 went to bucket cowl.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial# 0B266805
    Model# 7220412ND
    MARINER 220XRI L
    2.4L "XRI" E.F.I.
    DOB: 4/18/88

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor